Flashing led

So I come home, switch the thing on , transfer some files to watch and after transfer the screen freezes.

After 20 minutes I decide to power cycle and now the led is flashing constantly. does not respond to reset and I can hear the thing ticking.

Anyone experiencing the same? any solutions to this?

thanks,

Michael

I would suggest turn it right off. (Hold power button for over 8 seconds)  Now remove the power lead and let it sit there for a good minute or so.

Now put the power lead back in and see how it goes.

Whenever my WDTV plays up, does something weird, the sound goes way out of sync, a movie file won’t play etc this is what I do and when it restarts from a ‘cold’ start everything works fine again.

It may not work in your case but could be worth a try.

mf12345 wrote:

does not respond to reset and I can hear the thing ticking.

You can HEAR it TICKING??

There’s no moving parts or sound-producing devices in the SMP – if you hear it TICKING, that’s bad news!!!

Also, with the flashing LED, is it flashing a pattern of three short, three long, three short, repeats.

If so, that’s indicating the hardware has failed.

It is normal to hear a single “click” from an SMP when it is fully powered off by holding the power button down for more than about eight seconds.

gderf wrote:

It is normal to hear a single “click” from an SMP when it is fully powered off

Oh, no it’s not…   There’s no relays, no nothing to make any sound at all.  

The “click” or “clicking” is probably coming from an attached USB HDD to the WDTV

I probably misinterpreted it wrong again … (that’s what happens when people don’t provide as much info as they possibly can)

So I come home, switch the thing on , transfer some files to watch and after transfer the screen freezes.

Transferred the files from where to where ?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

gderf wrote:

It is normal to hear a single “click” from an SMP when it is fully powered off

Oh, no it’s not…   There’s no relays, no nothing to make any sound at all.  

It does it on mine. Do you think I am imagining that?

Hi all,

thanks for your replies, sometimes it comes back, and this morning it did the same again. It gets way to hot. [Deleted - Trancer] design.

I unplugged it for a long time and came back again once but now it blinking again. The ticking sound is something most switchmode spower supplies doe when they are of a **bleep** design, the airgap in a coil can create that sound.

I when I unplugged the powersupply (the littel brick) it comes back, lets see if can stay alive for a week but I suspect the powerspply is the issue.

mf12345 wrote:

It gets way to hot.

You may have a defective unit if it’s more than barely warm. 

I just measured mine with an infrared thermometer after watching videos for the last 3 hours…  temperature is 103.8 F at its hottest point on the top of the case while ambient temperature is 76 F.

If I were that temperature, I’d go to the hospital – but for a compact electronic system, that’s quite normal.

If you have a USB device attached, check the temperature of the USB plug.   Most blutooth receivers don’t get warm at all – but many memory sticks get VERY hot because they’re not made for the 24x7 read/write access the WD hits them with.

mf12345 wrote:

I unplugged it for a long time and came back again once but now it blinking again. The ticking sound is something most switchmode spower supplies doe when they are of a **bleep** design, the airgap in a coil can create that sound.

This is a red herring.   

Let’s assume for a minute that the WD did use a SMPS.  The power supply is in the wal-wart – not the WD case.  So would not explain a sound coming from the case.  The only power-supply system in the WD TV case is a 12V DC voltage regulator which is solid state.  Also, a ticking (failing) SMPS does it constantly when energized – not just the moment when the power is shut off.

But this is meaningless as he WD’s power supply isn’t a switched-mode power supply; it’s just your basic old transformer / full wave bridge rectifier / filter capacitor design.

Oh, by the way… You didn’t answer my earlier question. Is it flashing the SOS pattern?

nope, it’s flashing at least once per second, but it seems faster without interruption, no pattern to be recognised.

apologies for asking … you are using the supplied WD power supply  12V DC 1.5Amp  ?

(just asking because i accidently left my WDTV power on for about 18 Hrs … and it was only “Warm” … if you’re using a power supply with Less than 1.5Amp then yes… it will get Hot and eventually burn out)

using the stock power supply, and it’s the WD box getting very hot, not the power supply.

mf12345 wrote:

nope, it’s flashing at least once per second, but it seems faster without interruption, no pattern to be recognised.

… and if you’re using stock themes, it’s not saying “Getting Content Info” or “Compiling Media Library” on the screen while it’s doing that?

indeed, everything stock; however when the led is flashing there is no screen output and no network connectivity (ie it doesn’t show up on the network)