Flac

I want to stream my music files from my Synology DS212j server where the files are 90% in flac format. When I investigated media streamers the info on WD TV Live said that flac is an accepted format. Now I am connected no flac files will play. wav files are OK. Is there some setting that I need to change or will it really not play flac files? If so an expensive useless piece of kit.

Alan Hunt

Mine plays my huge collection of .flacs just fine. Unfortunately I have no idea why it’s not working for you. For arguments sake try copying one of two of your .flacs onto a USB drive and plug it directly into the Live and see if it plays them from there.

I am also experiencing problems with FLAC playback from a Synology NAS but only when I use a DLNA Controller  to tell WD TV what to play. If I use WD TV’s own remote control and user interface, that very same FLAC file from the same NAS plays without problems.

I experimented a few days to narrow down the problem. It appears that WD TV Live Streaming with the latest firmware reports to DLNA Controllers that it does not support FLAC. But even if the DLNA controller sends the command to WDTV to play the file, WDTV runs into some error and starts playing the last track that played correctly.

I checked the media server’s log files for any hint, but it seems that WD TV never actually contacts the media server for the FLAC file. I have tried many different DLNA controller applications, including Synology’s build in Audio Station, with the same result. So the problem must be in the WDTV, I guess.

My hardware info: WD TV Live Streaming, firmware 1.12.14

Synology NAS DS 209+, with DSM 4.1

DLNA Controllers tried:

iOS: PlugPlayer, media:connect, 8player, iMediaControl, ZappoTV, n-Stream, DS Audio, Fusion Stream. 

Windows: foobar2000. 

Linux: Synology Audio Station (part of the NAS firmware)

I have to elaborate, that WD TV SMP can play the FLAC files using both the Media Library and Windows Share sources. The error only happens when trying to control WD TV SMP from a DLNA Controller application. Which is the default in my case, since I do not want to turn on the TV just to see the music library. I am using an iPad to control WD TV, which is a very convenient method, I must add. I have been using the WD TV, NAS, iPad combination for over a year now, and this FLAC problem appeared only recently, after a firmware upgrade.

1 Like