Firmware update prevents avch file play

I have a sony avch camcorder as do many.  I bought the wdtv live and a wdtv live hub to stream netflix and my home movies to my tvs.  It worked great other than resetting my netflix account frequently.  It was suggested I upgrade the firmware to fix this.  Bad choice as now my home movies (avch) wont play.  I can not go back in the firmware as the earliest version available on this site is still not capable of playing the files.  I can’t find the older version I had before the update.  The unit now is worthless for my need due to the firmware update that was supposed to fix my netflix problem.  WD support just tells me the unit was not designed to play avch.  It played them fine till the upgrade otherwise I would have been able to return the unit to best buy for a refund.  I do not wish to reprocess all the files as it downgrades the resolution (60p files at present), takes out the time/date stamp, and takes a lot of time!  The support person suggested I write in this site with a request to add avch playback to the firmware and if others feel the same it may be added.  I am requesting WD include support for these files as avch camcorders are common.  Also it is unfair I bought a product, it worked fine, and then through a firmware update from WD one of the capabilities was taken away with no way to undo it.  I should have been told the upgrade would fix the netflix issue but take away the avch ability.

First, you’re in the wrong forum.  This forum is for the 2009 model WDTV Live HD and 2010 model WDTV Live Plus.

The forum for the 2011 WDTV Live Streaming Media Player is here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media/ct-p/wdtvlive_streaming

Second, that’s why WD says it’s not supported.   If it happens to work, it’s an undocumented bonus.   But the lack of support for it is not “unfair.”  

Also, if you happen to know the version that was on it before you did the upgrade, perhaps someone can point you to where you can find that firmware.

Finally, the best way to request a new feature is to file it in the IDEAS LAB for the appropriate device.  But search first, as there’s a good chance it’s already been filed.

First thanks for moving my message to the proper forum.  Second I disagree with you that it is fair.  If I am told to upgrade the firmware to fix a problem with my netflix I should be informed that I may loose a function.  Alternatively I should have the option to return to the old firmware.  The oldest firmware available on the WD site is the 1.04.12 which doesn’t return my function of watching my home movies.  It is stated that previous versions have been removed due to a problem in restoring them.  This should be stated before being told to upgrade by WD. 

Hello Mate,

I was looking at the product specifications and the supported files. The AVCH is not a supported file and it never was, you can see that info here: http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

Now it has happen before sometimes one type of files works without been supported, normally the users think is supported and when is removed the users feel frustrated for this.

But the truth is it was never supported.

greg1 wrote:

First thanks for moving my message to the proper forum.  Second I disagree with you that it is fair.  If I am told to upgrade the firmware to fix a problem with my netflix I should be informed that I may loose a function.  Alternatively I should have the option to return to the old firmware.  The oldest firmware available on the WD site is the 1.04.12 which doesn’t return my function of watching my home movies.  It is stated that previous versions have been removed due to a problem in restoring them.  This should be stated before being told to upgrade by WD. 

They can’t really tell you a function will be removed that they never said was ever supported.

You may want to post the media info of one of the files that do not play. Are you talking about a AVCHD file.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en  (free dowload - post the complete text output of the file.

At your own risk - firmware 1.03.10

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Firmware/Why-the-downgrade-to-1-03-10-is-not-recommended/m-p/361989/highlight/true#M842