Firmware update 2.30.165 is not good for Mac OS X

*** WD My Cloud extremely very very slow browsing on Mac OS X ****
I am certainly not the only one… I am a photographer, so, my reality is to work on a Mac, browsing a lot of files which are relatively large (between 8 and 20 Mb each).

Since the last firmware update (2.30.165), the speed of browsing and switching from file to file became very very very slow compare to before.

I first tought it was Mac OS X Sierra, so I downgraded my Mac to El Capitan, reinstalled all my softwares, my photoshop brushes and plugins… A big big lose of time.
The iMac was exactly as slow as it was on Sierra.

Then, doubting a lot (since I do think the developers of firmwares TEST before releasing !!!), I saw their have been also an upgrade of WD My Cloud to 2.30.165…

I tried to downgrade to previous version, and… TA-DA ! Everything is back to a correct and acceptable speed.

What is going on with firmware 2.30.165 ??? Somebody at WD can explain ? You are going to place yourselves in a position where evry Mac users will reject you. Simply.

I would really like answers to this.

How is your Mac connected to the My Cloud, using AFP or SMB (or some other format)? It is possible the SMB 3.0 update the latest firmware came with is causing a problem.

You may want to see the Firmware 2.30.165 discussion thread to see if anything mentioned in there applies.

https://community.wd.com/t/firmware-2-30-165-discussion/202238/

Before downgrading to the previous version, I tried to connect with static IP as recommended, using smd, CIFS and AFP… None of these solved the problem.

This update is just not good and all Mac users should reverse. It is unacceptable from the development team from WD.

I lost a looooooooooooooooot of time because of this issue. I am really upset and angry.

Time is money for small business like mine.

MyCloud is really a consumer device, not a business device. Not that that’s an excuse for poor product development.

I also note that I haven’t seen any other complaints like yours, which suggests it may not be a problem endemic to all Mac/MyCloud combinations.

ps. This is a user forum, not a WD Support portal.

I will kindly reply that this update is 1 month old. So it is not because you did not see others complaining that I am wrong.

Consumer device vs business device argument is not very relevant when talking about a company of 1 employee, which is a photographer… In other word, a self employed. I think I encourage WD enough by buying 4 x 4 TB drives in order to backup each and every night 8 TB on 2 backup drives.

Thanks for the user forum. I will continue my postings on the other topic about version 2.30.165 where a WDStaff member seem very interested on helping and getting details of this issue.

Well, that’s very unusual. Think yourself very fortunate…

[edit] I see you’ve had one reply from SBrown, asking a few obvious questions. Good luck with getting a useful response to your problem.

Probably because they know they have a serious problem with Mac OS X… :wink: