Firmware Release 1.05.21 Experience

Thread for people to post their experience of the 1.05.21 firmware release.

The upgrade for me (EX4, w/4x2TB Raid 5) was painless using the GUI interface.

1. GUI much more responsive - very nice!

2. I like the change to the Backup screen - a nice improvement.

3. I like that the Shellshock bug is fixed.  Nice work.

Issues:

1. When a USB Backup has commenced, the GUI will then not ssem to move off the Backup panel whatever is selected in the top menu ribbon.  Even a log-out wouldn’t respond.  The unit basically becomes unresponsive although it is clearly still doing the backup.  It looks as though the backup job is taking too much of the CPU to allow the unit to respond.  Even an SSH to the unit gets no response.

I’ll post more as I get more experience of the new firmware.

skiwi wrote:

Thread for people to post their experience of the 1.05.21 firmware release.

The upgrade for me (EX4, w/4x2TB Raid 5) was painless using the GUI interface.

1. GUI much more responsive - very nice!
  1. I like the change to the Backup screen - a nice improvement.
  1. I like that the Shellshock bug is fixed.  Nice work.

Issues:

1. When a USB Backup has commenced, the GUI will then not ssem to move off the Backup panel whatever is selected in the top menu ribbon.  Even a log-out wouldn’t respond.  The unit basically becomes unresponsive although it is clearly still doing the backup.  It looks as though the backup job is taking too much of the CPU to allow the unit to respond.  Even an SSH to the unit gets no response.

I’ll post more as I get more experience of the new firmware.

Hello,

We Have passed this along to support. 

It has got worse - the unit requires a hard reset to shut-down then seems to go into a loop under any sort of activity.

The HDD lights are flashing and the unit is unresponsive to the GUI or to a SSH connection attempt.  The unit will go into “Shutdown” status on a press of the front panel button, but never shut down.  The only remedy is to remove power from the unit.

When the unit restarts, ithe unit goes back into the “busy” state with HDD lights blinking and will not accept connections.

Powering off the unit and re-booting with the rear reset button pressed has brought the unit back…

This fw release reassured my decision…return my 2 ex4 units. Phew only 3 days remaining on the 30 day return.

Got 2 new RAID dell servers. $9k but reliable.

WD, please stick to hardware. Having to power cycle a brand new ex4 after firmware…really?

Unit has been stable over the last day with the new firmware without a re-occurence of the issue. I will test further, but I suspect that it has to do with the USB Backup drive.

I’ll post futher after some testing.

As suspected, the unit gets CPU bound when the USB drive is attached.

I was running TOP when connecting the USB drive, and the unit sits at >90% sys and never seems to clear.  It gets less than 1% of usr, no idle and the rest is in both io and sirq.

No spare CPU for the GUI to respond, or in fact the ability to handle any conections.  TOP is very sluggish.

You can see the disk LEDs hammering while all this is happening.

Removing the USB doesn’t make any difference, the unit stays pegged with >90% sys and the disks remaining busy.

Pushing the front panel button gets “Shutdown” displayed, but it has no effect, and 2 hours later the unit is still pegged with high “sys” and no “usr”.

The unit needs to be Reset for it to come back properly.

Hello,

Can somebody help me out with the following.

Last Thursday I update my Mycloud on the ipad.

After updating I received a message in the ipad screen that new firmware was availlable for my EX4 NAS.

I started up my computer and logged in by the Web Ui as I always do.

So far so good.

In the screen the page mentioned that there was a new firmware update availlable.

So I clicked automatic update.

Everything went ok untill the system started again by it self.

First the bleu power led was blinking.

Then the first disk led was blinking bleu

Second disk led blinking bleu

After a couple of seconds  the power led blinked red. The EX4 is not accessible anymore.

Even with the reset button it does nothing.

On the back the network led is blinking.

I can not reset it and it is not accessable. Also with power switched off and pushing the reset button does not help out.

What to do to solve this.??

It sounds like it is bricked.

Just to confirm - if you hold in reset and connect power to the unit, nothing happens?

Nothing happens. confirmed.

It’s bricked.  Your files will still be OK, but you will need to mount them individually on a Linux system (or something with a Linux VM) to get them off.

Call WD suport and get them to talk you through it.

I found the same. It looks as if the firmware upgrade completed OK as the front panel shows the new version and the blue power LED is solidly lit. All 4 disks (RAID 5) in my system are constantly being accessed. I did a hard power off and disconnected my external USB drive and the system started up normally and is responding in the usual expected way. All shares and users available. Also the read and write speeds are noticeably faster than before (read/write to my PC at 80Mb/sec and 50Mb/sec respectively for large files).

I tried that but did not work. I also had a wd usb 3.0 disk connected. mine is completely dead.

Remove the USB and try again. There is an issue with external USB drives and the new firmware.

mcmanusd wrote:

Also the read and write speeds are noticeably faster than before (read/write to my PC at 80Mb/sec and 50Mb/sec respectively for large files).

What!?  Can you reconfirm this?

What speeds were you getting before the upgrade?

I have been holding off on the upgrade to see all the issues first, but if you are seeing performance like this, I may jump in early.

Upgrade for the speed boost!

Judging by the lack of posts here, this upgrade is going much smoother than the previous ones.  Also, since upgrading, I’ve lost power three times and there have been no issues starting back up.

Yes, it seems so.

Can you do a USB Backup without the unit goign AWOL?

I performed the upgrade this morning.  Now I cannot login to the box and the indicator light is blinking red.  Please help.

Re: Read/Write performance. Checked more specifically this morning.

PC network interface is Gigabit Ethernet via a HP V1910 24 port switch to the WD EX4

HP Switch to WD EX4 network uses the 2 x Gigabit Ethernet ports as 802.3ad link aggregation.

WDEX4 has 4 x 4TB WD RED NAS drives configured as RAID 5.

• Read performance with a large file (1Gbyte+) is ~100 to 100Mbytes per second.

• Write performance with a large file (1Gbyte+) is ~50 to 55 Mbytes per second. 

Downside is the seemingly non-functional USB interface now (unless someone has solved that problem) which means I cannot do a local backup of important files.

Hello all, I’m a new owner of an EX4 with version 1.02.08 installed, and automatic update disabled. There hasn’t been any activity on this thread for 4 months (since November 2014). If anyone can please let me know how it is going with the update to 1.05.21 I would be very appreciative. I don’t know whether I should do it or not.

Thanks in advance. 

I updated and everything went smooth. Solid transfer speeds and no problems backing up. :smiley: