Firmware bug identified: overall_share cleared

The file /etc/samba/overall_share stores the samba shares. When following these steps, the file will be cleaned and the shares are unavailable to any clients:

1.) create 6 or more users and shares

2.) configure the shares non private

3.) in “shares” select one of the new shares

4.) within a very short period of time click through all the users and give them read-only (or write) permissions.

5.) file /etc/samba/overall_share is empty.

Cannot be fixed by reboot, system restore required. Can be reproduced on different MyClouds, I used 4TB ones with FW version v04.01.02-417.

The behaviour can be traced when logging in via ssh and monitoring the file with this command:

watch -n 1 cat /etc/samba/overall_share

Tried to submit this bug via email, but this crappy support-page failed to search the knowledge base. Hope this will be fixed in the next firmware release. 

it may be reproducable with thouse steps but it is not the only way it gets cleared or corupted. I added 1 more share, set permission and it got cleared. i manually re-created the file, others have done the system only restore

until they fix this it is a good idea to keep a backup

Thanks for heads-up. Just made a back-up of that file.
Have made sure the issue you’ve reported will get noticed and hopefully communicated to the right people.

Thanks. I have five of these devices and that was the first time this happened. I actually returned a new bought MyCloud because it appeared to me that it lost its shares without any reason. When the replacement device had the same issue, I did some investigation. For now, I’ll keep a backup of the file.

Ah, one more thing: When watching the overall_share file I first realized that there might be a problem with simultaneous write operations when a section looked like this:

BEGIN ## sharename = readonly

[readonly]
path = /shares/readonly
comment =
public = yes
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
guest ok = yes
map read only = no

END

#D

Note the additional #D in the end.

Well, I’ve sent the issue a bit higher up the chain. Looks like it’s serious enough problem.

Hi Guys, we have passed this along to support. 

Thanks very much. I bet it is rather serious, I’ve already sent one device back to Amazon claiming it was defective. That, however, was before I investigated this issue. Maybe others return their MyClouds too…

Well, let’s hope there will be a firmware update available soon.

The issue you have found for sure is in the system and is being looked at.