Firmware 1.05.21

The new firmware seems to solve multipe issues for me, most importantly it looks like it is possible to permanately disable wdmcserverd and wdphotodbmergerd.  One of our drives went to sleep on its own for the first time without having to manually stop the two previously mentioned processes.  This should also help wear and tear on the drives, shouldn’t see the warning about exceeding directory monitor resource limit and throughput should be better.

Thanks 

I’ve seen multiple improvements as well. Temps are in a much more livable range (37-38 degrees under full load), transfer speeds are MUCH improved after disabling cloud access, no file volume limit (out of space errors), etc.

So far, it’s looking like it just might have solved most of the issues. Now, about that google cloud sync… :slight_smile:

Unfortunately the very useful feature of web file viewer app remains broken. I haven’t tested it but as I haven’t installed this firmware, but based on the release notes not mentioning anything about this, I am pretty sure this is still broken.

This bug has been demonstrated to WD Level 2 tech support by another user, Vertech1, who also posted the request to fix it here →   http://community.wd.com/t5/Network-Product-Ideas/Dashboard-Webfile-Viewer-For-Users-EX2/idi-p/785961

Please lend your support to have this useful feature fixed by voting (click the up arrow on the left of the post to add your vote). If fixed, you’ll finally be able to have users upload/download files using a browser from anywhere outside (and inside) EX2’s network. Most users have been demanding a feature like ths without realizing it is already there but currently only works for the admin user.

I’ll try to test and chime in tomorrow on this, unless WD can chime in sooner.

Cybernut1 wrote:

Unfortunately the very useful feature of web file viewer app remains broken. I haven’t tested it but as I haven’t installed this firmware, but based on the release notes not mentioning anything about this, I am pretty sure this is still broken.

This bug has been demonstrated to WD Level 2 tech support by another user, Vertech1, who also posted the request to fix it here →   http://community.wd.com/t5/Network-Product-Ideas/Dashboard-Webfile-Viewer-For-Users-EX2/idi-p/785961

Please lend your support to have this useful feature fixed by voting (click the up arrow on the left of the post to add your vote). If fixed, you’ll finally be able to have users upload/download files using a browser from anywhere outside (and inside) EX2’s network. Most users have been demanding a feature like ths without realizing it is already there but currently only works for the admin user.

You guys aren’t going to believe this…It’s fixed!  The newest firmware doesn’t list this as being fixed but it is.  WooWho!!

1 Like

Vertech1 wrote:> You guys aren’t going to believe this…It’s fixed!  The newest firmware doesn’t list this as being fixed but it is.  WooWho!!

That is excellent news, Vertech1. WD definitely did good with this release - because this is a major one. Essentially NOW you truly have your very own Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive as this app provides the web-based file upload/download functionality that many desired. Even I might start using this access once in a while when I am away. Odd that WD did not publicize this - either they didn’t want to acknowledge that there was abug in the first place - or they simply considered it too minor to mention…but I consider its impact to be very big. A VERY big feature - a true cloud app.

Thanks for testing this out, Vertech 1. Feel free to add a comment to your suggestion that the bug is fixed now as of firmware 1.05.21 (perhaps double-check that it is fixed before you do so - not that I am doubting your test results). I probably won’t get to installing this firmware for some time (as I have to compile it with my numerous custom changes and just don’t have the time right now).

I actually might be taking a long hiatus from this forum (not sure) - but if I am not seen around here for a while then it means I am taking a break…my EX2’s working great lately (with a lot of my SSH logs I am able to add lots and lots of IP ranges to block on my Verizon Fios router’s firewall and the intrusion attempts are going down…most interesting observation is how on several occasions I have seen serious attacks on SSH login with large botnets spanning the globe including compromised American computers and almost always the attacks originating in Russia or China - with compromised corporate and occassionally household machines being used to launch intrusion attempts every 2 seconds apart…so me enabling logging for my SSH port has been eye-opening for me…and caused me to take serious steps to block large IP ranges in my routers firewall. This is in addition to several Chinese, Russian, European, American computers individually trying to hack into the SSH or HTTP server. Sorry, I digressed from the topic of the new firmware in this comment :) ).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback on this release everyone. Hopefully I’ll get around to installing it before the next one comes out.

My top led light flashed red - bottom 2 flashed a purple color/red blue really fast - and the firmware was corrupted- bricked it.  

called it in… advanced RMA with no credit card required - and they are shipping me out a new shell so i can now transfer my drives and see if this works -may not get it till monday - total waste of 4-5 days of productivity as i cant access these now.

synology is about to get 1000$ of my business if i have one more problem.  if it even blinks - its gone.  im sick of the issues for paying for something from a “reputable place” and now i cant access it half the time.  when i travel its like it goes to sleep than my phone or computer cant pull it up from the mycloud app.  totally a waste!  synology works great in webdav and i can always find my other clouds at work.  

get it togethor WD - 

also transmission appears to have a new version with this update.

Mine did exactly the same. 

Turn the drive off and power it back on after 10-20 seconds. 

Navigate to the device IP Address, it should say it’s in Safe Mode and prompt you to upload the firmware file. 

Download this from -  http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfMyCloud_EX2

Select the .bin file and let it update. The drives LED’s should change colour when this is being done. 

Mine is now updated and fully accessible - stil had to SSH to kill the two process’ that thrash the drives though :frowning:

Hope this helps!

Hi Andrew,

How long for this update process?

I also got an error msg and access into safe mode

After I select the .bin file and update

The drives LED still flashing after an hour

Is it normal?

Mine sat there for ages but there was no percentage showing on the webpage just the circle going round.

So I powered the device down and tried loading the bin file again and it worked, the update took maybe 5-10 minutes including the reboot.

Hope this helps.

I fix the problem by following this post

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/MyCloud-EX2-automatic-firmware-update-permanent-Safe-Mode/td-p/783017/highlight/true/page/8

solution:

Windows 8.1

portable firefox 1.0.8 en_us

disconnecting current NAS

Download firmware file My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.bin

Portable firefox Run as administrator

Enter the ip of your nas

load the firmware

the percentage must have to visualize that to be increasing from 0% to 100%

wait about 10 minutes

orange and blue lights flash.

enter the IP of the NAS.

Done.

1.05.21 FIRMWARE UPGRADE DOES NOT WORK

upgraded to 1.05.21 and after restart I can’t access the dsashboard from any web browser

but

if I ping the ip address it does reply

if I browse the folder I can see them

how do I restore the ability to see the dasboard and get back control ?

thanks