File Transfer Speed Issue

I need to use wireless rather than wired. I have tried switching to wireless-N a couple of times but had to switch back to wireless-g because of coverage and certain hardware issues. When I bought my Hub a few years ago, rather than buy a wireless adapter, I utilized a router I had, that had been going unused, as a wireless access point. I plugged my Hub into it and it worked well. I was getting transfer rates that averaged 1,000 KB/s from my computer to the Hub. This was very satisfactory to me. Unfortunately, a few days ago, that wireless access point stopped working. I consulted the approved hardware list and bought the Airlink 101 wireless adapter for $11 and plugged it in. It began working right away. I was able to stream Netflix without issue. The next day I transferred files from my computer to the Hub and I was disappointed to see transfer speeds of 100-110 KB/s. Later, I transferred a file from the Hub to my computer and I got speeds of about 650-750 KB/s which would be OK but, obviously, that is not the normal traffic pattern. Today I did some more transfers from my computer to the Hub and saw speeds of 100-130 KB/s again. I would appreciate it if anyone has ideas on how to speed up the transfers and/or why the transfer to the Hub would be so much slower than transfers from the Hub?

I thought I had problems. I came to these forums to ask why I can (wired) transfer from pc through router/modem to hub at 6-7 mb/sec, but when I transfer from attached USB drive to hub, the fastest I can get is 2mb/sec?
Sorry I can’t help just thought I’d share my frustration / bewilderment.

Bananas wrote:
I thought I had problems. I came to these forums to ask why I can (wired) transfer from pc through router/modem to hub at 6-7 mb/sec, but when I transfer from attached USB drive to hub, the fastest I can get is 2mb/sec?
Sorry I can’t help just thought I’d share my frustration / bewilderment.

If you’re doing that from your PC, you’re using your network twice.  Once to READ from the USB, and another to WRITE to the internal drive.

1 Like

Oh ok. After doing some reading I thought the speed may have been limited by the processing power of the hub. I hadn’t considered it network related. Looks like ill have to plug hdd to pc and transfer to the hub that way. Thanks tony.

Bananas wrote:
Oh ok. After doing some reading I thought the speed may have been limited by the processing power of the hub. I hadn’t considered it network related. Looks like ill have to plug hdd to pc and transfer to the hub that way. Thanks tony.

It’s really both network and CPU.   

The CPU is going to limit network transfers to about 10-11 MBytes/second.

sorry… bumping… With my new wireless adapter I am still getting 120-130 KB/sec transfer from PC to Hub and 650-750 Kb/sec from Hub to PC. Any ideas on why there would be this kind of difference? or how to speed up the PC to Hub transfers?

I finally got fed up with those speeds I was getting with the wireless adapter I bought and bought network-over-powerline adapters. HOLY **bleep**! Plugging my Hub into one improved the transfer of a 1 GB file from over two hours to 15 minutes. Plugging my laptop into one improved from that to 8:40. I’m not sure what I should be expecting but I am very pleased.

really… carp got censored?

curtswanson wrote:
really… carp got censored?

Yeah there’s a whole lotta carp you can’t say here cause you get a bleep. ;) 

Good to see someone gets good speed outta those things. I had 2 pair. One pair burnt up the others didn’t like jumping circuits with arc fault breakers in them.