File System Errors with 2TB Caviar Black

I just made some upgrades to my pc, I had an HP Pavilion a6157c with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I upgraded the processor first (from a Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.0 Ghz to a Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 Ghz, that way I could upgrade to a 64bit Windows 7 ) and everything worked great, then I proceeded to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and again, everything worked great, the I installed the drivers from the motherboard (Asus P5Q Pro Turbo) and when I restarted my PC after the installation the nightmare began…

It took my PC around 1 hour to boot, it stayed a LONG time showing me the flash screen, so I restored the PC to the previous point to the drivers installation and everything worked great. I didn’t try to install the drivers again, seems like they’re not needed. Then I replaced the RAM (Corsair XMS2 4GB).

I started to install games put my multimedia files into my secondary hard drive (2TB Western Digital Caviar Black), that I bought 1 month ago (no issues until now). The application and games that I installed on the drive stopped working, when I tried to access some folders where “corrupted and unreadable” according to Windows. So in Computer under the driver properties>tools>error checking>check now, I checked the two boxes “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” and then “Start”. It took like 6 hours or more but then it got fixed.

But now the file system is getting corrupted again and again, I have to reinstall programs in order to get them to work, I’m trying to not use the drive but I have too many files and my main HD is not enough for them, and now some files are getting corrupted, their size gets reduced to 0 bytes. And to access some folders I have to fix the file system under error checking (not the bad sectors), I’ve done this like 10 times during  last weekend.

Please, do you have any suggestions?

Have you checked to make sure that your power and data cables are correctly seated?

I did, but no problem there, it worked perfectly under Vista. The problem began after installing 7 and (probably) replacing the RAM, but I was told in another forum to run MemTest86+ because bad memory could corrupt data, could that be the problem?

Absolutely.  Also, make sure your RAM is correctly seated, as well.  Definitely run the Memtest.  If there are any issues replace the ram.