Few questions before I install the latest update

I have not updated my firmware… but I want to ask a few questions before I do the upgrade…

1 - Is the music player fixed where it plays the first song two times in a row?

I go into the music player… I have my music sorted by letter then by band name… for example going into A - F you’ll find Anthrax. Going into Anthrax you’ll find some albums. Going into that album will start playing it.

After the first song plays it’ll play that one again before going to the second song! I hate that!!!

Also, when pressing the button to skip to the second song it’ll go to the first one a second time! I have to press that darn button twice!

2 - Will upgrading this version make me lose my network settings? That is always a pain in the butt to get working.

3 - Will it cause me to lose media? I don’t currently have it backed up anywhere else. :frowning:

yuppicide wrote:

I have not updated my firmware… but I want to ask a few questions before I do the upgrade…

1 - Is the music player fixed where it plays the first song two times in a row?

I go into the music player… I have my music sorted by letter then by band name… for example going into A - F you’ll find Anthrax. Going into Anthrax you’ll find some albums. Going into that album will start playing it.

After the first song plays it’ll play that one again before going to the second song! I hate that!!!

Also, when pressing the button to skip to the second song it’ll go to the first one a second time! I have to press that darn button twice!

2 - Will upgrading this version make me lose my network settings? That is always a pain in the butt to get working.

3 - Will it cause me to lose media? I don’t currently have it backed up anywhere else. :frowning:

No this firmware update does not fix that. A work around is to switch on the Media Library and use FOLDER view. If you don’t want to use the Media Library another work around is to highlight the folder and press play, that will play all of the tracks in order once. This bug is one of my pet peeves as well, it seems to have been in the HUB since it was released, I reported it to WD in April, it hasn’t been fixed yet.

1. Upgrading shouldn’t lose your network settings, but if you have problems you may have to reset the HUB. If you have to reset back to factory settings you will lose your network settings , but if you have IPs automatically assigned it should be pretty easy to get the network working again. Maybe a good idea to have the network settings recorded somewhere.

2. No the upgrade shouldn’t lose your media, BUT if the media is important you should have backups. This doesn’t just apply to the HUB, but any data. If you don’t have backups you WILL lose data eventually.

My take on this update is that if you don’t need the new features don’t update, especially if you mainly play audio files. The latest update has introduced two nasty bugs - if you have a custom screensaver enabled the screensaver stops audio playing. Even worse playlists are broken. Don’t get me started on how WD managed to break these basic functions that WERE working.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that audio play thing drives me crazy. Something so simple.

I know they say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it… but in the back of my mind I keep thinking about it because it shows it to me every time I start up. I almost got into trouble one time updating a motherboard BIOS in my computer… I don’t know why they don’t have a better system for that… some work, but a lot of times fail.

yuppicide wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that audio play thing drives me crazy. Something so simple.

I know they say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it… but in the back of my mind I keep thinking about it because it shows it to me every time I start up. I almost got into trouble one time updating a motherboard BIOS in my computer… I don’t know why they don’t have a better system for that… some work, but a lot of times fail.

You can switch off the option to automatically check for updates so they won’t show up.