Feb 2016 El Capitan MacOS X finder solution?

Continuing the discussion from OS X (10.11) El Capitan Finder Connection Failure:

El Capitan came out in October, its February… do we have a solution. Since updating only my ethernet connected computer can access my NAS drive, and my MBP which uses wifi refuses to connect even when attempting to try with Command+K. Any developments on a solution?

Hi there,

If you go to the shared section on finder, does the unit com up ? I have the latest Mac OS version on my MBP and i am able to connect to My NAS drive, however if you are able to see the unit if you go to connect as and select a registered user or guest, you should be able to connect.

Have you tried enabling AFP service on NAS?
I have no issues connecting to NAS via AFP (wired or wireless).

Not sure if people are still trying to solve this issue. So far it seems to be improved for me by doing the following. Don’t use SMB as the protocol to add the server, rather use AFP as follows:

1. Open a Finder window
  2. Go to the top menu select ‘Go’
  3. Then select ‘Connect to server’
  4. Then type 'afp://WDMyCloud.local/[name of share] e.g. afp://WDMyCloud.local/Public and it should automatically open a finder window that allows you to browse files in that share
  5. For password protected shares, it will ask for the password automatically
  6. The pop-up window had my full name not username in the username field so make sure it matches your MyCloud username
  7. Check the ‘Save in your keychain’ checkbox (if you want this).

To make permanent…

1. After performing the above steps (including step 7)
  2. Drag the drive into the sidebar for quick access.
  3. Add to user account login items - if you don’t know how to do this Google a separate tutorial

Advantages of this method

1. The shares open much faster using AFP not SMB on my machine.
  2. I chose to use the AFP protocol this way (with the .local which is important) because I did not want to display my username and password in the AFP path (which is an option that I do not recommend - i.e. don’t type your passwords in plain text anywhere, ever… they are too easy to hack.

Note: I was not able to switch off AFP on my NAS (which seems counter-intuitive anyway as AFP is a Mac native protocol.

Hope this helps others.
The reference I used for protocols to connect to a server on a Mac is this article: Eight ways to connect to a server | Macworld