Feature (not hardware) differences between Gen1 and Gen2

I already have a 4TB Gen1, and am very happy with it. I use it as storage on my local network (no cloud functionality), and as a media server to my DLNA devices. I would like to buy (e.g., used, via eBay) another My Cloud to test upgrading the hard drive, and as a backup device. I am looking for advice on whether to get a Gen1 or Gen2.

I realize the hardware differences, and the confusing firmware versions. Here are the Gen2 feature differences that I’ve found:

• Network activity on dashboard
  • No shutdown option on dashboard
  • Safepoint renamed to Backup
  • Cannot backup to another local My Cloud

Are there any features unique to Gen2 that I missed? It seems Gen2 has better hardware, but fewer software features. I’m not interested in installing additional apps/libraries. All else being equal (e.g., price, drive capacity, etc.), which version would you recommend? Thanks

The following WD Knowledgebase support article lists some of the feature differences between the first gen and second gen single bay My Clouds. Another undocumented difference is the ability to modify the v2.x firmware on the second gen single bay My cloud to allow for 3rd party app installation.

Differences Between My Cloud Products
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19649

One major difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 is that the Gen1 runs a real Linux. The
Gen2 runs a version of busybox. Busybox is the OS in things like DVD players smart TV’s
other smart devices.

Bennor, rac8006: Thank you for your replies.

I don’t think that I’d be taking advantage of any of the different features between the two versions. I’ve found a post about data transfer rates between the two versions using macOS, but I only have Windows PC, and I usually experience transfer rates 70-90 MB/s.

I continue to welcome any additional feedback/opinions regarding practical differences between the two version.