FAT 32 Format

Why aren’t the My Books in fat32 format anymore?  I want to pass mine betwen my Mac and PC.  How do I get it formatted in fat32?

Greetings,

I am unclear on the exact model My Book you are referring to.  Please see ANSWER ID291 for more information.  Depending on the drive and it’s formatting, there are pro’s and con’s to using the external in conjunction with both OS’s. 

Hi,

Follow the steps below to change the file format type of the portable  drive for it to be compatible with both Mac and Windows. Please do not use Time Machine on Mac because it will change the format type to Mac OS Extended Journal (HFS+)

Step 1: Open the main drive (the drive that contains the operating system) > Open the Applications folder > Open the Utilities folder > Launch Disk Utility.

Step 2: The drives are displayed on the left column of the window. Click on the drive that you wish to format/partition (the top drive listing for the hard drive that you want to work with)  > Once the drive is selected click on Partition Tab on the right column.

NOTE: This will delete all the data on the drive. Hence, please save the data separately before you format it.

Step 3:  Select the Down Arrow from Volume scheme and select 1 Partition. Click on the Options button below Volume scheme panel (if you have options button only) to select the partitioning scheme. (For Windows and Mac compatibility select: Master Boot Record) and then click on the OK button.

Step 4:  On the Volume Information Panel, key in your desired name for the drive, Select the format type as (For Windows and Mac compatibility select : MSDOS FAT), click the Partition button. After the completion of this process, the drive will appear on the desktop.

Step 5: Save the data on the drive and connect it back to the windows with the Y shaped power boost cable. The computer should recognize the drive.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Hello-

I just registered for this forum and I want to thank you all in advance for the help you offer,

I have similar questions and issues re: Windows and MAC compatibility.

I just bought a WD My Book 500GB external.

I’ve read warnings about using FAT32 for using both a PC and MAC on this one drive. Warnings on the WD support pages and MAC sites also. 

My questions are:

1- Is it risky if I partition my 500GB drive into 2 partitions and give them different file systems, i.e., Mac OS for one and FAT 32 for the PC? Clearly, having he total 500GB accessible by both the Mac and the PC would be nice of it worked.

2- I read about MacFuse and put in on my MacBook Pro. I read that it will allow read and write in NTFS file system by both platforms. Does anyone here know about this?

If this works, do I (or HOW do I) format my HDD to NTFS if OS X 10.6 only does FAT32? 

My PC has Win XP on it.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

This is what I have:

WD640H1U-00 Western Digital USB 2.0 external 640 Gig drive. I had been using it for my MAC and Time Machine. I have tried to change it back to FAT32 so that I can use it on my PS3. Right now it is at NTFS and the WD formatting tool does not recognize the drive as a WD or big enough drive? Tried to do it through DOS but had no luck. All I want to do is retutrn drive to its stock (FAT32) state. Let me know what other info you need to point me in right direction.

Thanks

-Dave

I get this error when I try and use Formatter v2.00:

Error: Drive SIze is too small or not supported! (WD6400AAVS-00G9B)

As Kryptonhite mentioned above, you can format it to FAT32 with the MAC OS.

Follow the steps below to change the file format type of the portable  drive for it to be compatible with both Mac and Windows. Please do not use Time Machine on Mac because it will change the format type to Mac OS Extended Journal (HFS+)

Step 1: Open the main drive (the drive that contains the operating system) > Open the Applications folder > Open the Utilities folder > Launch Disk Utility.

Step 2: The drives are displayed on the left column of the window. Click on the drive that you wish to format/partition (the top drive listing for the hard drive that you want to work with)  > Once the drive is selected click on Partition Tab on the right column.

NOTE: This will delete all the data on the drive. Hence, please save the data separately before you format it.

Step 3:  Select the Down Arrow from Volume scheme and select 1 Partition. Click on the Options button below Volume scheme panel (if you have options button only) to select the partitioning scheme. (For Windows and Mac compatibility select: Master Boot Record) and then click on the OK button.

Step 4:  On the Volume Information Panel, key in your desired name for the drive, Select the format type as (For Windows and Mac compatibility select : MSDOS FAT), click the Partition button. After the completion of this process, the drive will appear on the desktop.

If you currently do not have a MAC, you will have to use a third party formatting utility.

Hi guys,

Fat32 file system has limitation on mac and pc, 4GB per single file, and will give the error message that no enough space or can be some other message!

NTFS is read only on mac, but macfuse or another free software called NTFS 3G has to be installed on mac, and it will give you read/write access to the drive.

To format the drive to NTFS it has to be done on your win xp, just go disk management and follow steps below :

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=207&p_created=1008908212&p_sid=4GM5JGPj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NjgsNjgmcF9wcm9kcz0yMjgsMjA5LDIxMSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9My4yMTEmcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1mb3JtYXQgeHA!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Hi

Currently WD Smart drives are not recommended to be formatted to Fat32 as WD doesn’t support Fat32 on Smart ware drives.

I tried formatting the drive using a mac computer drive works without any issue.

hi I have bought a WD elements 1.5 TB hd, and a WD mini tv player. 

I want to be able to use time machine, and the mini player! but the player does not cooperate with journaled mac formatted drives.

Should i send back my drive? not being able to back up my hard drive because I want to use the tv player is annoying.