Failure of backup with new My Passport for Mac

I have just purchased a new My Passport for Mac to use with my iMac running OS X (Yosemite) 10.10.5. This replaced an older version which was damaged and could no longer be read. I uninstalled all the related to this and after connecting the new drive I was asked immediately did I want to use it as my Time Machine backup. After clicking ‘yes’ it proceeded to do a full download success fully over ~3 hours. However, further Time Machine programmed backups fail with the message “Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.” I have used the WD Utilities to check the drive and it passes both the quick and complete drive checks. Any suggestions before I return it for a refund. If I have to do this I am concerned that it will have all my confidential data from it first and only successful backup so I may also need advice on how to erase the information and avoid voiding the guarantee.

Hi,
Same problem here, but on Windows 10. It was a windows update that killed WD Backup. So, now what? Could it be a network adapter bug…

Thanks for the reassurance that it is not just me! My problem has resolved after I re-booted and so far so good but I am not holding my breath as I and WD’s technical support have not come with an answer to why I had the problem in the first place. I don’t think it is an upgrade problem in my case because I have resisted moving up two OS upgrades from OS X 10.5.5 offered ‘free’ from Apple.
Cheers
Alan

Hi nataselig,
Glad to hear you got some success! I’m still digging around on my problem.

I have the exact same problem. I have up graded to Sierra 10.12.6. This is my second My passport for Mac. First one gave me same error code about back up folder. I spent a lot of time with different WD tech ppl on the phone. Nothing helped. They determined it was defective drive. Received a new one. It does same thing. After rebooting it works once then stops…
Is your still working?

Hi,
Yes, it is still working but given your experience I won’t hold my breath! I try to do a manual check on it each day to make sure it has done what it is scheduled to do. My iMac is getting on in years so I don’t want to have a system failure and then find the last backup is ages old. It is a real pain having to do this but I can’ t find an alternative. Do you know of one?

1 Like