Failed Upgrade to OS 5.14.105

Hmmm. . .that’s a rather disheartening thread.

So lessons

• NEVER encrypt NAS volumes. . . . . it will just make it that much harder to do a doomsday disaster recovery

• ALWAYS backup a NAS. . . .RAID provides redundancy for HDD’s. . . but not for the the *$&#^ing hardware running the RAID. There is ALWAYS common mode failure potential. (Hardware, Power Source, Fire). It’s just a question of probability. (Case study: Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster - Wikipedia

• Cloud storage is nice. . . .until the company running the cloud changes business model. . .or folds

As for recommendations;

• Reading that entire discussion. . . .I would concur with the “time to start NAS shopping” recommendation

• Buy an external HDD or two . . .and backup the NAS

• Look . . .OS/3 is old. . . firmware no longer supported. . . fair amount of security holes. . . .“time to start NAS shopping”. . . .OR. . . .do what I do = = => Run it on a dedicated network that does not have WAN access.

• I would not consider running OS/5 on a NAS box . .

• WD security reputation (for fixing things) is weak
    • OS/5 is very . . . noisy. . . .for a NAS. . . .the current direction WD is taking results in doing a number of questionable things (in terms of privacy and security) in the name of “features”
    • OS/5 feature set is quite restricted relative to OS/3. . . .and OS/3 wasn’t the bee’s knees
    • The “indexing” process is. . . .bad. Just bad. Especially if “indexing” involves “transcoding” (can’t remember if it does transcoding on DL* series machines)