FAIL: My Cloud Mirror Firmware Release 1.05.36

No chance to update the firmware. Followed the instructions, tried all avenues, both the automatic mode via the home panel of the dashboard and the one from the settings panel as well as the manual mode, also tried to do it via the WDQuickView – no chance. It does go through the motions, sends me emails about it downloading the file, yet the progress bar stays put at 0% and the WDQuickView reports “Update Failed”.

Device is a WD My Cloud Mirror model BZVM, current firmware is 1.05.30, computer is Mac running Snow Leopard.

Hello there, welcome to the community.

Have you turned off the drive and turn it back on? How much space is left on the drive? Have you tried performing a reset?

How to reset a WD My Cloud, Mirror, EX2, or EX4 drive

Hi there,

My previous post is 444 days old, I’m told by the system… Well, my problem is even older: To this very day I haven’t been able to update the firmware. I’m still on 1.05.36, I still can’t back up to the attached passport usb drive.

Meanwhile I am running MacOS 10.10.5, but that doesn’t make a difference. I upload the .bin file to wdmycloudmirror.local (browser tells me it completes), but then the window just sits there for hours with the message UPDATING:

When I refreshen the screen (after 5 minutes or 5 hours, that doesn’t matter), I get the login dialog again. Nothing happened.

And yes, of course I turned the device on and off, zillions of times, also resetting didn’t help. The device has 1.42 TB free (out of 2). I disabled all firewall and antivirus software, and I tried all browsers under the sun. I am seriously regretting the purchase. And as if that weren’t enough, I was inconsiderate enough to spend extra money on that USB drive that the MyCloudMirror won’t save things to (first it backs everything up, then, just before finishing, it deletes everything!).

Can someone please enlighten me as to WHAT PROCESSES are meant in this sentence in the instructions on how to update the firmware: “Important: Make sure you stop all processes and save all your data before performing the firmware update.” Also, how do I save the data on the device if I can’t back it up? groan

Thank you, whoever can help me here.