External WD hard drive won't open, needs a CD

I have a WXE1A4309818 hard drive that won’t open and is telling me I must run a WD Drive Unlock application from the DW Drive Unlock CD associated with the drive which I don’t have, can anyone help me her please?

Hi @Mosonyi,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hi
Not sure what opening a case means

Thanks

Les

It sounds like you have a Western Digital (WD) external hard drive that is locked and requires the WD Drive Unlock application to access the data. This is a security feature to protect your data in case the drive gets lost or stolen. If you don’t have the WD Drive Unlock CD that came with the drive, there are a few steps you can take to try and resolve the issue:

1. Check for Software: Sometimes, the WD Drive Unlock application might be available for download on Western Digital’s official website. Search for your specific drive model and see if you can find any relevant software downloads.

2. Contact Western Digital Support: Reach out to Western Digital’s customer support. They might be able to provide you with a solution or guidance on how to unlock your drive without the original CD.

3. Proof of Ownership: If you’re the legitimate owner of the drive and can provide proof of purchase or ownership, Western Digital might be able to help you unlock the drive or provide a solution to access your data.

4. Data Recovery Services: If the data on the drive is crucial and you can’t unlock it through regular means, you might need to consider professional data recovery services. These services can be expensive but might be able to retrieve your data even if the drive is locked.

5. Try on a Different Computer: Sometimes, the issue might be related to the computer you’re using. Try connecting the drive to a different computer to see if you can access it.

6. Check for Updates: If you already have the WD Drive Unlock software installed on your computer, make sure it’s updated to the latest version. Sometimes, updates might include bug fixes or compatibility improvements.

Remember that unlocking a secure drive without proper authorization or ownership can lead to data privacy and security concerns. Always make sure you have the right to access the data on the drive.

Keep in mind that these are general suggestions and might not cover all possible scenarios. If your situation is unique or if none of the above solutions work, consider seeking assistance from a professional technician or Western Digital support.