External USB Drive Problem

I recently purchased a new WDTV streaming media player and a 500GB WD elements portable drive for my media.

Everything works fine as expected, except everytime I plug the drive in a Windows machine I get a message saying the drive needs to be scanned. This only happens after it has been plugged into the WDTV.

I always use the eject button on the remote before unplugging the drive, I’ve tried a 16GB USB stick and exactly the same thing happens.

The latest firmware has been installed via the WDTV internal update.

Any suggestions? Should I return the WDTV and try a replacement?

Thanks

I see this with my WD Passport 2TB drive. No problems have ever been found when I do the suggested scan so I ignore it now.

Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have if I don’t do the suggested scan in Windows, when I try and create new folder or delete a file, I get an error message in windows (something about being corrupted), If I do the suggested scan first everything is fine, it just seems a pain having to do that each time.

Are you only pressing the eject-button or also confirming the subsequent selection with OK?

I press the eject button on the remote then select the drive and a green check mark shows, I am assuming this then means it is safe to remove.

egtrev wrote:

I press the eject button on the remote then select the drive and a green check mark shows, I am assuming this then means it is safe to remove.

no

you select a drive, then you press the green check mark ok to eject the drive

Thanks for the help, this has solved the problem :smiley:

For some reason I thought the green check mark was telling me it was ejected :flushed: