External IP hitting my NAS on port 80

I just installed a new router and I was reviewing the log files. I see about every ten minutes or so an external IP coming from AWS going to my NAS on port 80. I never saw those on my old firewall.

My suspicion was that this has something to do with cloud access, so I disabled cloud access, and it appears that the activity has stopped. Is this in fact something that allows my cloud access to my NAS, or is this something malicious and I should be concerned?

Thank you.

Daryl

Hi,

Did you set any remote backup using the My Cloud Amazon S3 Backup?

AWS could be Amazon Web Services.

ERmorel,

Thank you for the reply.

No, I am not using any external backup service. I even verified just to make sure.

I turned off Cloud Access, and I confirmed that external IP address stopped accessing my NAS. Also, I am no longer able to access my NAS from my phone via an external network, e.g. my carrier network.

It seems to me that if this is needed for me to be able to access the Cloud storage on my NAS, it should be hitting a secure port, not port 80. Is there a way to change this to hit port 443 or another secure port?

Thank you.

Daryl

Hello,

Anyone have any more thoughts on this? Why is there an external address coming from AWS needed for Cloud Access?

Thank you.

Daryl