外接硬碟供電問題 - External HDD supply problems

您好:
我最近想要購買貴公司的 WD elements 2T 3.5吋 USB3.0,但我的桌上型電腦主機是USB2.0介面,兩者在連接上,雖然USB可以相容,但是否會有供電不足的問題?雖然該款外接硬碟有外接獨立電源,但我的電腦是USB2.0介面,只能提供500mA的電流,並非USB3.0介面所能提供的900mA電流。因此想請問以USB2.0介面提供的500mA電流加上該款外接硬碟的獨立電源提供的電流是否能夠提供足夠安全穩定的電流給外接硬碟使用?我是否需要再另外買一條Y-cable(Y字型的USB傳輸線),以兩個USB2.0來提供更多的電流,以確保外接硬碟馬達能安全運轉?或者考慮另一種方式:我可否自行更換一個輸出電流較大(例如輸出電流為DC 12V 2A 或 3A)的變壓器來使用?這樣是否能彌補USB供給電流的不足?但不知這樣做會不會因為電流過大而對外接硬碟造成損害?

此外,聽說電腦主機前方設置的USB插孔供電較弱,如果將該款外接硬碟的USB端插到電腦主機前方的USB插孔是否也會有供電不足的問題?

最後,我想知道這款外接硬碟所使用的電流是全部由外接的獨立電源(變壓器)提供或是由USB端與外接獨立電源(變壓器)共同提供?(因為在網路上看過3.5吋硬碟同時標示有5VDC與12VDC)

不好意思,一口氣問了這麼多問題,實在是因為在網路上查過,都說供電不足是造成外接硬碟容易損壞的重要原因,所以我才會如此擔心。以上諸多問題,盼貴公司能撥冗回覆,謝謝!

[MOD: Google translate:]

Hello:
I recently wanted to buy your company’s WD elements 2T 3.5-inch USB3.0, but my desktop is USB2.0 host interface, both on the connection, although USB is compatible, but whether there will be insufficient power supply Questions? While the external drive which has an external independent power supply, but my computer is USB2.0 interface, can only provide 500mA to 900mA current is not USB3.0 interface can provide. So ask USB2.0 interface provides current to 500mA current plus external drive which provides an independent power supply is capable of providing adequate security and stability of current to an external hard drive to use? Do I need to buy another one Y-cable (Y-shaped USB cable), with two USB2.0 to provide more current, an external hard drive to ensure safe operation of the motor? Or consider another way: Can I be changed by an output current is large (for example, the output current is DC 12V 2A or 3A) of the transformer to use? Whether this can make up for the insufficient supply current USB? But I wonder if doing so will not be because the current is too large and cause damage to the external drive?

Also, I heard the front USB socket is powered by the host computer is set weak, if the USB external hard drive plugged into the end which the host computer’s USB jack on the front of whether there will be a supply shortage problem?

Finally, I would like to know the current use of this external drive is all provided by an independent external power supply (transformer) or jointly by the USB end and external independent power supply (transformer)? (As seen on the web 3.5-inch hard drive simultaneously labeled with 5VDC and 12VDC)

Sorry, breath and asked so many questions, it is because checked on the Internet, said insufficient power supply is an important cause of external hard disk easily damaged, so I will be so worried. The above problems, hope your company can taking the time to reply, thank you!

Hi there and welcome to the WD community.

Regarding your questions, the drive has a independent power supply so the connection and the transfer rate remain stable on the drive, I would not recommend using a y cable if the device has its own power adapter, so this should not have any issues with normal usage. Also normally front USB panels do not provide a lot of power but this is something i have not seen in a while in computers.

Hope this helps.