External hdd on wdlive mediaplayer

Hello, I want too put a western external hdd on my wdlive mediaplayer. What are the best settings for that ? I have read about long waiting by wdlive. Also how do I remove the drive save from the wdlive ? the drive is a Western 500 Gb and I want set all music on it. When I have the hdd on my pc, the light is shining, every 5 seconds, it works good. So is that normal with this hdd ? I hope I get a answer, thanks in advance when you are bizzy with it. I am gratefull for all the good answers I already have recieved, for all from Tony ! Take Care and greetings from Holland :wink:

Well 67 Vieuws but no answers :dizzy_face: But better No Answer then a wrong one. Then everybody knows about Computers ! But how much do they know, that is always the question. I have fond the Eject on the Remote, too savely remove the hdd.

Well, other than the way to eject the drive (which you found) there really doesn’t appear to be a question there – you ask “what are the best settings” but I really don’t know what settings you are talking about.  Just plug a drive in – not much to set other than turning the media library on or off (if you have it on it will catalog all your file which, if you have thousands of music files as opposed to hundreds of video files, may not be what you want, as the light will indeed flicker on and off as it tries to address all of them).

If you have other specific questions feel free to ask (as you have already found out, folks like Tony aren’t shy about answering).

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your answer. Indeed I found it already, but your comment on the Library, I must look in too that. Then I have a Western 500 GB, on the WDLIVE and that could ne when it’s full, take a moment/minutes ! Yes Tony is great, He missed a quiestion from me, about how too set all the security settings in W 7. Then I don’t wont anyone too clear my maps/drive. But I have not ask Tony again, then He has answerd so many questions from me, and it’s all for helping others ! So take care Mike !

other than turning the media library on or off (if you have it on it will catalog all your file which, if you have thousands of music files as opposed to hundreds of video files, may not be what you want

And Mike, when I set Media Library Off, can I see my files/maps then on it ? I consider indeed too put all my music-collection on a HDD, from Western off course ! And that will take a 1500 GB. I have called / telephone here the Western Help{ For Europa I believe ? } And it’s a free number, they where very knowlegde about the external drives, then mine would not shot the Power off. It was the usb in my computer, you can set in your Bios__Wake Up Event and then USB off__I did not dare that and luckely I had 2 Usb in front and they shut the power off the 2 HDD off when the Computer is out . When it’s not possible too shut the power off, from the external HDD , do that harm the hdd ? So they get sooner defect ? You see Mike, and Tony knows this, I have many quetions about computers. Luckely there are sympathic people that take the time, too answer { some/all } my questions, thank You all very much ! Good Luck Mike and Take Care !

Even if the media library is off you can see all your files – you just can’t use the advanced features in it (I don’t ever have the media library on, as it doesn’t work on net shares which is all I ever use).

mkelley wrote:

Even if the media library is off you can see all your files – you just can’t use the advanced features in it (I don’t ever have the media library on, as it doesn’t work on net shares which is all I ever use).

Thanks for this answer Mike ! What are the advanced fearures off the Media library, can and will You tell me that ? Is it that the Mediaplayer recognize, for example all video’s and photo’s and put it then in maps. I see then all artist, all photo’s, is it that what You mean ?

Yes, if the Media Library is off, you can still browse the folders themselves, but you don’t get the “Artist” “Genre” etc… selections for browsing.

Okay Thank You, I use those, so I must look what too do now. Then I want set on a external drive all my cd’s and when the loading of 1200 GB means long waiting { what is long_5 minutes ? } then I must leave them on my PC.