External HD USB 3.0 very slow when access via My Cloud

I plugged a USB 3.0 external HD on MyCloud. When access via Windows network, the maximum speed is 35 Mb/s. I am all Gigabit (router, notebook, and of course, MyCloud).
If I connect the external HD directly on the notebook, the speed is 100 Mb/s.
Why this difference in speed? Can anyone help?

So I’ll have to assume that you mean 35MB/s and 100MB/s, capital B denotes Bytes rather then a small b denoting bits.

Yes I get about the same for USB 3.0 access through the Cloud at about 40MB/s and about 100-120 MB/s if connected directly.

That speed difference is probably WD USB 3.0 maximum since when I SSH into the device and did a straight copy from the Cloud to the WD MyBook I get a maximum of 40MB/s writes even though USB 3.0 speeds should max out around 140. Also my writes to the Cloud itself is around 40-45MB/s so I’m guessing that since we max out at network speeds at around 40, they are limiting the USB 3.0 port speeds to 40 also.

If you plug in a different brand to the Cloud, you will also get about 18MB/s writes and 25MB/s reads. That different brand when plugged in directly to my USB 3.0 gives speeds of 160 Writes and 120 Reads.

Having said that though, this speed is still faster then anything else on the market. I have tried routers that had a USB 3.0 port and I get about 16MB/s writes and 23MB/s reads.

At 40MB/s writes and 70MB/s reads from a remote USB 3.0 port is good enough since you can always remove the USB 3.0 device and attach it directly to get that oomph when you need it.

Just my two cents.

Same problem here, only worse. I have connected a Hitachi Touro HDD via USB 3 directly to MyCloud.and then kicked off a Safepoint backup. 17 hours in, I’m getting about 10MB/s. Surely the MyCloud can read fater than that? And surely the Hitachi can write faster than that?

@GingerHammer

Safepoint max, when I first tested it out, is 10MB/s and I’m guessing that the reason for that is they are capping the load so it doesn’t overtax the device. 

If you SSH into the device and use cp (copy) on a large file, you get about 40MB/s write speed to the attached USB device directly from the Cloud. In a sense this is slow, but I’m guessing they are matching the USB speeds with the max network speeds so they don’t need to go faster.

There is also another reason for 10MB/s and that is small files. All photos, music and ebooks are attrocious for our large collection of them and they are the bain of all copying since every entry requires a directory entry, a hard drive head seek and allocation of sector, it is becomes the bottleneck for copying and without a large cache buffer on the device itself, the whole copying process slows down to just 4 or 5MB/s writes even if you write directly from your PC to the Cloud.

Remember though, that once you have completed the safepoint, subsequent backups is only on the changes. So it is only the initial safepoint that will take time.

Your other option is to actually read and write from an external PC and I’ve also tested the read/write speeds of that as well. It turns out that I get an average of 25MB/s transference of data if I specified the Cloud as the source and the WDMyBook as the destination by dragging and dropping from a Window explorer pane. 

I still prefer the 40MB/s writes directly from the Cloud itself and will be investigating rsync sometime in the future for syncing the Cloud and the MyBook.

1 Like

Thanks Ralphael for the explanation. It seems hardly worth having a USB 3.0 interface on the MyCloud. I guess I’ll let the current backup complete. Pretty disappointing though.

_LinAdmin_ wrote:

GingerHammer wrote:

Same problem here, only worse. I have connected a Hitachi Touro HDD via USB 3 directly to MyCloud.and then kicked off a Safepoint backup. 17 hours in, I’m getting about 10MB/s. Surely the MyCloud can read fater than that? And surely the Hitachi can write faster than that?

Have you tested speed of the mainboard in your MyCloud?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Everybody-with-slow-MyCloud-please-do-these-tests-and-report/td-p/689405

No but I will just as soon as this backup ends - if it ever does!