Ext HDD suddenly not seen - ". . . (Code 32)"

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

My WD My Book 500 suddenly yesterday became invisible to my computer. The computer “Boops” when I plug or unplug its USB, but no drive appears. Moved the MyBook temporarily to a different Linux machine, and it saw the drive and I could open pictures. So the drive still works.

But my main machine, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, now shows nothing. It did until about 48 hours ago!

Control Panel - Device Manager shows a yellow exclamation mark, and the Driver data says:
“A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)”

I added no devices, and did maybe an update to Avast anti-virus and Windows Defender - Win 7 auto update. I temporarily turned off Avast - no change.
I’ve deleted all USB devices (many) then restarted computer. All are re-found OK, until the mass storage - it shows an issue. After searching more on web and dozens of reboots with no real change, I gave up.

Went to the store and bought a new My Passport Ultra 1T drive, that will do USB 3.0 which my newish motherboard supports.

It does the same thing - not seen and same error message re: drivers:
“A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)”

Help! This is nuts. How to I fix this to use an external  drive?

I gave up and restored a total backup from several days ago.  Older Ext HD now works again.

Don’t yet know the cause - will monitor any changes.

I do note that in Control Panel - System - Device Manager the USB for Mass Storage shows drivers: usbfilters.sys and usbstor.sys. For the XHD the disk drive section Properties General tab now says:

"This device is working properly.

Windows did not start a related device driver. To learn more, click the Driver tab and then click Driver Details."

Driver details shows the same drivers as show for internal hard drives, Western Digital AND Toshiba: 

C:\Windows\sytem32\DRIVERS\disk.sys

C:\Windows\sytem32\DRIVERS\partmgr.sys

Maybe these are clues for others or for future “repairs.”

Hi, see if the link below helps. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us