Excessive Network Traffic

I am getting a large amount of network chatter from my new MBLD.  Most of the traffic is DHCP requests.  This excessive amount of traffic is over loading the switch and preventing other devices access to normal network resources or very slow performance.

I have verified my MBLD am on the latest firmware, switch is set to auto-negotiate Speed and Duplex.  I have tried switching the MBLD to a static IP and the DHCP requests keep coming.

Any suggestions on how to correct this issue?

I’m curious about this.

Can you take a Wireshark capture for about 2 minutes and then PM me?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Networking/How-to-run-WIRESHARK/td-p/33862

Hello,

May you give us your brand and model of router.

Is your router update with the last firmware?

Router is Westell Ultraline Series 3 9100EM verizon branded.  It does have the latest firmware.

Any Suggestions?  I am running out of my 30 day warranty and would like to keep the drive but, only if I can sort out this issue.

Thanks!

Gonzo, I have tried to PM you how to get the Wireshark data to me, but your Username is a duplicate with another user and I cannot PM you.

Sorry…

Tony,

GonzoC should work now.

Thanks,

Gonzo wrote:

Tony,

GonzoC should work now.

Thanks,

Nope…

What was the conclusion to this problem?

I appear to have a similar problem with high network traffic coming from my MLD.

( I know virtually nothing about networking!)

GonzoC’s analysis was correct – when the Media Server built into the MBLD is active, it sends repeated network DHCP requests – about 1 every second.

While this should in NO way cause “congestion,” it can cause other devices on the network to begin to act oddly.

My router does the same – after a few days, it just stops working normally.

After disabling the media server, no problem at all.

So there’s really two issues:

1-  The MBLD should not be sending DHCP requests just by virtue of the Media Server being Active.   This is a WD issue to fix.

2-  Even if #1 is occuring, it’s no excuse for other network devices to act strangely as a result – that’s a problem with those devices, and not WD’s issue to fix.

We have identfied the issue, able to duplicate it and have a fix that will resolve the problem.  We are working on getting a My Book Live Duo firmware update soon.

When I transfer a file from my local PC (Windows 7) to MyBook Live via WD2Go I get a very large volume of downloaded messages.  It denegrates my upload bandwidth from 1.5mb to .75mb.  The download bandwidth is 2mb.

Is this the same issue identified here?  I have a capped monthly bandwidth and the data downloaded from WS2Go is adversly affecting me.

I am connecting to a My Book Live Home Network Drive (2TB - WEWDBACG0020)

fog627 wrote:

I get a very large volume of downloaded messages.  

I have a capped monthly bandwidth and the data downloaded from WS2Go is adversly affecting me

What do you mean by “large volume of downloaded messages”?

W[D]2Go is adversly affecting me.

Well, yeah, because WD 2go uses the internet to transfer files.  So that shouldn’t be a surprise…

@Tony…Sorry for being so vague.  When I transfer files I get sporadic downstream traffic from the MyBookLive site.  Most times (2 out of 3) I upload at 1.5mb with no, or minimal, downstream activity.  But the other times I get downstream data from the MyBookLive site at the rate of 3 times my upload data.  My upload rate is reduced to .75mb and the download bandwidth goes from minimal to 2mb.  I have no other internet activity taking place and have used software to verify the source of  the downstream data.

I have screen prints showing the disparity in activity and bandwidth.  I do not understand what the download data entails and why it is affecting my upload data rate and bandwidth.

I’m still confused.

What is the My Book Live “site?”

@Tony…In case you can’t tell, I am a newbie!  When I refer to “site” I mean ip address of the MyBook Live that I am connecting remotely to.  I can tell that the data is coming from the MyBook Live as it has the same ip address that I am uploading to.

me (Win 7 PC) > WD2Go.com > MyBookLive (site)  data uploading @ 1.5mb or .75mb if data being sent from MyBookLive

MyBookLive (site) > WD2Go.com >me (Win 7 PC)  data rate normally zero, but 1 out of  3 time data transfer @ 2mb, and reducing my upload rate to .75mb.

The last time I got this condition, I was unable to “disconnect” because of the download data still flowing.  When I disconnected my modem, I got error messages saying something like “MyBook unable to create file xxx.on drive: O (which is the desifnated MyBookLive drive)”  The files that were referred to had already been transfered and were complete.

It almost appears the MyBookLIve was syncing the files with those that exist on my PC that had previously been uploaded.  ???