Excessive Load/Unload count on MyBook Essential

HELLO,

I have 2 My Book drives, 1st with 14210 poweron hrs. and 17047 load/unload cycles, 2nd with 11495 poweron hrs. and 187076 (!!!) load/unload cycles (which is 16.3 LCC per hour). I was very surprised when I saw that value in SMART. How is that possible that one of my drives gained such a high LCC value? It’s not a Green line drive, the more it surprises me (beside that the another MyBook with similar usage has much lower LCC). The drive value was much lower a couple of months ago. Can anybody explain how the LCC value could increase so rapidly? And more, is there a way to save this HDD? I really don’t  want to lose the data on it. Thnks.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Yes thanks, I already did so but not having good experiences with the WD helpdesk, I always got a generic useless response to all problems I was asking to. Perhaps someone here could give a better support. Anyways the drive had to happen something bad as the LCC increased more than 100,000 over couple of months. That’s terrific even for current green line drives. The LoadUnload cycles didnot increase too much during last days, now it’s 189683 nevertheless I’m worried about another rapid increase.