EX4100 stops communicating and won't power off

Have you tried to force the link speed to 1000?

I have had My 24TB EX4100 for many years with no issues at all, in the past few days it looses connection via windows share, ssh and web interface. Ping shows still on network but will not respond to any connections.

Nothing has changed for months and last firmware V2.31.195. I have 2 EX4100ā€™s on the same network switch and same firmware but only 1 looses connection when trying to copy files.

Front panel displays as normal, buttons respond but power button does nothing. Like other haver to pull power plug out. When it finishes integrity checking I can log in to the web interface, navigate via windows but as soon as I start to copy it looses connection.

Drives are all healthy

@SBrown Weā€™re having exact same issue with our EX4100. Works fine for random periods and then loses all connectivity. Weā€™ve struggled with this for over a year, with no improvement. Please can you arrange to send over the guidance youā€™ve offered to others on here.

Can confirm, something i saw in a previous comment here. Power cable issue. I have replaced my power supply with a different cable, on from a HP monitor that was no longer in use. I have not had any issues for over 2 months. Hope this helps any future visitors to this page

I just bought an EX4100 16TB unit, and got it up and running with the public share, and an 8TB iSCSI target, using MPIO & 9000 byte packets size. It ran for about 7 hours before it stops communicating on the network; it does even respond to an ARP request. All lights are frozen, and the power button doesnā€™t work. After reading through this thread, Iā€™ve made a couple of conclusions: 1 - I will return this unit right away (fortunately, I had had bought it through Amazon). 2 - Western Digital cannot be trusted to be forthright in their business dealings. Iā€™ve been in IT for over 40 years, and canā€™t recall a worse instance of a customer service organization being either inept or blatantly dishonest . I do not believe that any capable service organization could not recreate this type of problem, which has been so widely encountered by their customers.

Unfortunately, I have to join this group. As today I cannot communicate with my EX4100. It always runs smoothly (most of the times) but now it displays the IP address, but in the network it is not found. Not on the router, not on any computer.
Unplugging the Ethernet cable : it still displays the IP address. So thatā€™s no correct. Stupid thing is, you cannot reboot the device with the Power button. So Iā€™ll unplug it. But thatā€™s not nice, since it can damage the disks inside.
After YEARS of these complaints, WD still had no solution? Thatā€™s weird. Service should be key to avoid running to Qnap or Synology.

Same has happened with both of mine. Unreachable, unstoppable by normal means. Have to remove the power plug. Very irritating.

Itā€™s me again. Last year i replaced my EX4100 again and it worked fine until today. Same problem again. The refurbished unit had only 1 year warranty and this is over. thatā€™s it folks, i will build my own NAS now. Maybe i can salvage the case and throw the rest of it away.

Leaving this here, because I still have hope a solution will be found one day.

I had problems with mine where it would become unresponsive, lose network access and I could not power it off without pulling the power; this would happen weekly on a Saturday. It turns out every time the unit would reboot / power up it was adding a clam av entry to cron. I ended up with 50 entries at one point and I suspect it was starting 50 instances of the anti virus which was killing the EX4100. Once I had disabled the anti virus schedule which was set to Saturday weekly the problem went away, itā€™s been running for nearly a year without issue since. Canā€™t say itā€™s the same for everyone as the cause seems to be different for others but felt it was worth mentioning.

1 Like

So now we are four years later and this PR4100 is still performing flawlessly. Iā€™ve had to swap one faulty disk, bought a new spare (also 6TB but a successor to the ones I have) and a week later, the second disk failed so I swapped that with the newly bought disk. Turns out that when you insert a disk that isnā€™t ENTIRELY the same, it seems to rebuild the volume, but after a reboot (after a Firmware update), the volume canā€™t be found.
I have mailed with support and went in circles with them, asking for logfiles, etc. As a last resort, I pulled the new disk (256MB cache; the others were 64MB cache disks) and the volume came back online almost instantly. Itā€™s now degraded since it runs on 2 disks, so I ordered 4 12TB WD Pro disks (which are compatible with the PR4100 according to WD). Iā€™ll insert one, create a second volume, copy everything over to that one and delete the first volume. Then Iā€™ll insert the other 3 disks and make it a 4-disk RAID-5 array with 48TB of storage. I hope this method will work. (I hope it doesnā€™t add the 12TB disk into the existing volume, so Iā€™ll insert it into bay 4 instead of bay 3 where the faulty disk was).

Other than this, the PR4100 is fast and reliable (even after a few power outages) and is pretty quick; never crashed on me once in the past 4 years. When copying data, it easily manages to do 120MB/s with peaks to 140MB/s, probably not because it canā€™t go any faster but because my PC isnā€™t that fast. Iā€™m satisfied. Not so much with WDā€™s support, but wellā€¦ You canā€™t get everything right.

Interesting. Years later and I am now experiencing this behavior. No disk lights, power light blinking. Power button will not shut unit off. Have to unplug and restart the unit. Logs indicate that the system is continuously trying to shut down. Assuming this is a new issue caused by recent firmware updates.