EX2 Ultra - Bad Drive, need to replace Drive 1

Greetings,

I’ve been having this issue of red light on the device for Drive 1, showing Fault even though all tests are positive. I used to re-boot the NAS and it would be months before it came back.
Looks like either the drive is really bad - I rebooted yesterday and today the red light is back on.

My NAS runs RAID 1.

1. Can I just put any red hard drive in it or does it have to be a specific model? My current drive is WD40EFRX but I don’t seem to find a brand new drive of the same model. I see EFAX, EFZX, etc.

2. What is the procedure of replacing the drive? Do I just pop the bad drive out, put the new one in and that’s it, or do I need to do something to make sure Drive 2 is synced to the new one in Drive 1 and not vice versa?

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @sbi,

Please refer to the article 2 and 4 Bay Internal Drive Replacement for WD My Cloud:

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:Submit a Case | WD Support

Hi @Keerti_01 ,

Thank you for the link and reference to drive replacement.
Unfortunately the specific document does not answer my question.

I am running RAID1 and my current RAID Health status is Healthy. The document assumes that the disk needs to be replaced because the RAID status is degraded, which is not the issue. I am replacing the drive because apparently Drive 1 itself is failing.
My Auto Rebuild is already “ON” and there is no Manual Rebuild button.
What do I need to do in this case? Just shut it down, take the old drive, put the new one in, and then what?

Also, can I replace the bad drive with any Red 4TB (which is what I currently have) disk, or does it have to be a specific model? As I mentioned, the current model of drives that I have are no longer produced. There are similar drives with slightly different letters in the model.

Thank you.

1 Like