EX2 still drops off network - Firmware 2.11.142

So frustrating. Still drops off network every couple of days requiring removal of power cable. Default settings except sleep turned off. Ethernet direct to Apple Airport Extreme. Please help.

Or - if there isn’t a solution, let me know and I’ll change to a QNAP.

Cheers

Since you are using default settings, DHCP is implied. Does a static IP configuration address your unit’s behavior?

Correct - using DHCP. In the middle of trying static however am not very hopeful due to the many who have had the same issue to which static has not improved. Will report shortly however.

Do you have IP reserved for you EX2 under Network/DHCP Reservations on your Airport Extreme?

Yes - IP reserved on Airport Extreme, changed to static IP. A few days later - go to access and not on network AGAIN. Have to power cycle via unplugging EX2 power cable. Ridiculous. Unbelievable.

Have a scheduled call with a tech tomorrow. If no solution - will ask for a return and grab a QNAP.

My New EX4100 is doing the same thing. Let us know what the Tech says.

WD Tech did share screen - walked me through firmware updated (although it was current), re-set to factory settings (again - I think it’s called ‘system only’ reset) - then changed a few settings. The usual ones, static IP, power save off etc etc.

Now - connection to EX2 on my local network is rock solid. From the off site / internet, it’s still hit and miss. However, prior to this - my Macbook (latest OS X) no longer stays connected. If you have a Mac - can connect via finder - go - connect to server. Will view, until you move to another folder. Connection instantly lost.

Sooooo - have contaced Apple support. Went through a few techs and have video screen grabbed the issue and the tech lead has engaged engineering. Waiting for a response.

Really don’t want to give up and go through the $ of getting a QNAP.

Apple engineering response “Not a known OS X issue.”

What a surprise.

Apple pointed me back to WD again. So have re-opened case. Will be back and forth.

Likely buy a QNAP.

I also share your pain and frustration. I was suffering from exactly the same problem with a lost connection. I had checked that the firmware was up to date (when I could get a connection) and also updated the app that connects to the EX2. It would work and then drop the connection, but then another Mac would make a connection and so I went on and on with the merry-go-round. This happened whether I was trying to connect with the admin app, WD My Cloud app or via the finder and yes i was already using a status IP address.

So before the unit took some flying lessons I thought I’d give it one more go. My simple solution was to change the static IP address for one that would not be close the those automatically assigned, typically above 192.168.0.10 (pick any number between 11 and 255 for the last number). Such a simple solution and I’ve had no issues with connection since then and this is on both Mac and PC.

Hope this may help others is fixing the connection issue.

I did get it solved in the end. The static IP also solved it for me - but was dependent on deleting/removing the TWONKY share/folder from the EX2. Only when I spoke to a senior (level 3?) tech at WD did someone mention this.

My EX4100 did the network lockup sometime over the Thanksgiving shutdown at my work. I believe it has everything to do with no connections or activity for a few days and it locks off the network access and as before you can’t power down the box from the front switch. I am on a static IP and I deleted all folders that I could.
I hope someone from tech support will try this test on an EX4100 they have and let it sit online with no connections to it for a few days.