EX2 Firmware update

Hi all, I have just tried to update my firmware from 2.13.108 to 2.42.115 , but its failing, I have rebooted and just wish to try get my “old device” on newer firmware and OS, maybe its too old ?, of this I am unsure or maybe I need to go to another firmware version first then to 2.42.115 ?, Just looking for advice please ?, Thank you all.

Hi @Lokro ,

Please refer to the mentioned link: Devices Available and Supported for My Cloud OS 5 Firmware Upgrade: https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/29230

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

1 Like

The My Cloud EX2 is obsolete, and OS3 version 2.13.108 (4/15/2022) is the last firmware available for it.

1 Like

Thanks so I have to replace the device vs upgrading to latest firmware, thank you for your advice

1 Like

Your presumption here is that OS/5 is superior to OS/3.

Some might disagree with that assetion.

OS/5 for sure:

• Is based upon a more recent version of Linux.
  • Addresses a few annoying OS/3 bugs.
  • Currently has WD Web access capability (OS/3 servers have been dead for awhile)

Certainly; you want OS/5 if the devices are exposed to the internet in any way.

For me. . . .I was turned off by how “web connected” OS/5 is - - -and how much it seemed to connect to the internet. I ultimately hacked the unit on OS/5 back to OS/3. . . and attached it to a router that now lacks a WLAN connection.

1 Like

Nothing has been presumed. My Cloud OS3 is no longer supported by WD.

On April 15, 2022, support ended for prior generations of My Cloud OS, including My Cloud OS 3. There are critical security updates that are only available for My Cloud OS 5-compatible devices. If your device isn’t compatible with My Cloud OS 5, you can only access it locally. As of April 15, 2022, your device no longer receives remote access, security updates, or technical support. To help protect your content, we recommend that you immediately back up your device, disable remote access, disconnect it from the internet, and then protect it with a strong, unique password.

Hi NAS_User, I have 2 devices neither are exposed, But the one running OS5 is better for controlling the media devices attached to it via the installed app on that OS5 version. Also as an “IT Guy” I’m always trying to keep everything on latest patches/firmware etc , Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it.

You are correct. . . .OS/3 is no longer supported.

One would argue that OS/5 is supported. . … but not very well :slight_smile:

I have my doubts about the security of the OS/5 system (my main beef was actually data collection by WD).