Ex MyBookWorld drive into EX2

We have two WD legacy NAS on our home network. The oldest being a MyBookWorld white light and the newer a MyCloud 2.0 vintage.

The MyBookWorld has stopped communicating with the network despite multiple resets etc. I have removed the drive and checked it and I can see the files and data.

My question is (highly unlikely I know) is that if I buy an Expert EX 2 (without drives), will I be able to install the old SATA drive into the EX2 and will it function? So I don’t have to move all my data?

Hi @R32Paul ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

My bet is that the drive will phsysically work. . . . .but the drive will get reformatted.

There are ways (using a USB dock and a LINUX based file viewer) to recover the data if the drive is good, but the enclosure is “broken”.

Regardless. . . .those drives are not new. I would hesitate to use 5-10 year old drives in a new NAS box. (Because you don’t have 5-10 years of life left in the drives)