Ethernet speed in New 2014 WD TV (Gigabit or 100MBPS)

Hi,

I dont see the ethernet speed in the specifications. I want to upgrade from WD TV Live to WD TV which is released recently. 

Any Idea what speed is it. Gigabit or 100 MBPS. I know the WD TV Live is not gigabit.

Hi there,

I recommend contacting WD Support for more information on this.

For general support you can try this link:

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

For support in a specific country try this link 

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

Hi, 100 MBPS, only few media players have gigabit network,and some of them are advertised as gigabit, but not true at all.

I called Customer Service and they mentioned that it is Gigabit (1000 Mbps). Hope they are correct. I will check with them again and ask for a printed document than just word of mouth.

People who already have this any way you can find out if it is 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps. A lot of routers and Switches can tell the difference between them automatically.

My netgear lights up “Orange” when i connect a 100 Mbps device. It lights up “Green” when I connect a 1000 Mbps device.

I have some blu ray videos which get stuck during play, may be due to buffer issue. Love to know the correct answer and go buy the new player.

The WDTV Live SMP has 100 mbit which is plenty for BD playback without videos getting stuck.

tinsnow wrote:

I called Customer Service and they mentioned that it is Gigabit (1000 Mbps). Hope they are correct. I will check with them again and ask for a printed document than just word of mouth.

People who already have this any way you can find out if it is 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps. A lot of routers and Switches can tell the difference between them automatically.

My netgear lights up “Orange” when i connect a 100 Mbps device. It lights up “Green” when I connect a 1000 Mbps device.

I have some blu ray videos which get stuck during play, may be due to buffer issue. Love to know the correct answer and go buy the new player.

Thats not true, no gigabit for sure, i can’t understand why they give you a wrong answer!, your router have the reason about that!

Techflaws wrote:

The WDTV Live SMP has 100 mbit which is plenty for BD playback without videos getting stuck.

But wouldn’t gigabit provide superb fast forwarding and rewinding? I came hear hoping for gigabit confirmation, too.

Succatash wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

But wouldn’t gigabit provide superb fast forwarding and rewinding? I came hear hoping for gigabit confirmation, too.

Of course not.  That’s not how FF / RW work.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Succatash wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

Of course not.  That’s not how FF / RW work.

Can you elaborate? Serious question: Are you saying that whether I fast foward at 2x speed or at 16x speed, data is transferring at the same rate?

In fact, data rates (and CPU usage) are often LOWER during FF/REW, because it’s not reading the entire stream – it’s just skipping to frames much further beyond.

Instead of reading from the file like this:

A B C D  E F G H I J K L …

it reads like this for 2x:

A C E G I K 

or for 4X

A E  I …

by reading only a few frames at a time and skipping all the intervening material.

Rewind is even more complex.

But, let’s assume it was as simple as just reading twice as fast…  

That’d only get you up to maybe 4x FF/RW before the CPU is exhausted with decoding at 4x the rate.

2 Likes