eS Pro RAID not rebuilding

I have the following RAID drive…

G-Speed eS Pro (G-Tech) RAID (mini SAS)
8 TB (4x2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm)
setup as a RAID 5
RocketRAID 4322 PCI-E to SAS host adapter

I used HighPoint Web RAID Management Software to setup and monitor this drive.

I’ve been using this RAID for video editing for several years now. Although I do have most (all?) of the video data spread out across numerous backup discs and SD cards, I do not have a proper backup of the RAID drive itself, including all my Final Cut projects, folders, and work.

Stupid. Yes, I know.

Recently, I started having trouble. Drive speed was way low. Crashes, dropped frames, and other playback issues.

I did routine maintenance, ran diagnostics. The computer (Mac tower) crashed trying to do benchmark tests and AJA speed tests.

At the moment, Drive #1 has a “critical” symbol next to it and says it “needs to rebuild”. The configuration utility shows that Drive #1 is trying to rebuild. But it sits at “Rebuilding 0%” forever, with no progress.

The SMART values for that drive, Drive #1, are all “OK”.

However, the SMART values for Drive #4 shows a “FAILED” notice for “Reallocated Sector Count”.

The only other issues I can see are that Drive #3, and Drive #4 have 247 and 202 “bad sectors found and repaired”, respectively.

I’ve tried to copy files to a different RAID (I have a 16TB RAID, as well), but progress slows to a stop and then it crashes the computer.

Here’s my question…

Should I pull Drive #1, the drive that is trying to rebuild, and replace with a new one and let it try to rebuild the array with that new drive?

And if I do try that, and it fails to rebuild from the replacement drive, should I then put the original drive back in that bay, while I’m considering other ideas?

Regarding the replacement drive…

I have a second set of drives already in enclosures that were used for a project I no longer need. In other words, these replacement drives were a RAID array I no longer need. Do I need to format the replacement drive before swapping it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. The data is very important to me. I’ve been in contact with a data recovery outfit. The quote for an attempt to fix things was far more than I have at the moment. I’m just trying to make sure I’ve done as much as I can before I have to go down that road.

Update…

This morning I pulled Drive #1 out of the enclosure and replaced it with a new, fresh drive (that had never been used or formatted in any way).

The light on the enclosure is blue, but the GUI says “Rebuilding 0%” and has made no progress for many hours.

The data is very important to me. I’ve been in contact with a data recovery outfit. The quote for an attempt to fix things was far more than I have at the moment. I’m just trying to make sure I’ve done as much as I can before I have to go down that road.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jeffrey,

It would be highly recommended to call in for this level of support but in order for the drive to be usable for rebuilding. You’ll want to go to the Manage Devices tab and it should show that 1 drive that you placed in. Initialize it and then it will allow you to rebuild.

Only initialize it if it shows by itself, if it doesn’t then contact our phone support. 888.426.5214