Episode DVD showing 4:3 instead of widescreen

If I play a dvd it will come out full screen. If I make an .iso off an episode DVD like Get Smart the player puts it at 4:3 format. If I switch from widescreen to normal it stretches out. Is there a better fix for this so I don’t have to change back and forth? Any rumor of an firmware upgrade that will fix that?

Flx what?   It sounds like it’s doing exactly what it’s supposed to do.

4:3 content displays at 4:3 on a 4:3 display if the WDTV is set to Normal.

4:3 content displays at 4:3 on a 16:9 display if the WDTV is set to Widescreen.

4:3 content displays at 16:9 on a 16:9 display if the WDTV is set to Normal.

… etc.

Get Smart IS 4:3 right?  Certainly it’s too old to be 16:9…

What I’m saying is that when I play it through a dvd player it fills the screen at 16:9. When I play the iso through the WDLiveHub it is only 4:3. That is for all the episode ones, not just Get Smart. If the DVD player can fill the screen from edge to edge what would it take to have the WD fill it instead of the black bars on the side?  I don’t understand why when I switch it from widescreen to normal it stretches it out, you would think it would be the opposite. Make sense?

I would guess, then, that your DVD player is Not set for WIDESCREEN mode.  If the video is 4:3, the SHOULD display with black pillar boxes on a 16:9 tv, otherwise the image is distorted.  When you switch it to normal,you’re telling the WD that your TV is 4:3.  The TV then must distort the image to fill the screen.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Ideas/Video-playback-options-Zoom-and-Pan-add-auto-fit-16x9-4x3/idi-p/201682

DonSanford wrote:

If I play a dvd it will come out full screen. If I make an .iso off an episode DVD like Get Smart the player puts it at 4:3 format. If I switch from widescreen to normal it stretches out. Is there a better fix for this so I don’t have to change back and forth? Any rumor of an firmware upgrade that will fix that?