EMEA_SvrRecovery_1_7_6_21.iso

The Sentinel DX4000 was updated with 1_7_6_21_.zip. mfor several months. Now the system wil not boot after a Windows update. He shown only “Loding OS Please waite”. Now i will do a recovery. But I only found EMEA_SvrRecovery_1_7_5_17.iso. When I boot the recovery, they said “Bad Storrage”. So I think I need EMEA_SvrRecovery_1_7_6_21.iso for recovery.

If you need any data from the box you should try to get it off before you lose it all doing a recovery.

you will need to do the step before recover which is recreate storage. this will get rid of the bad storage message along with all of your data.

Sorry, I forgot some importand details. I added new disks some months befor, that was the reason for the update zu version 1.7.6.21. And now I found in the recovery.log on the USB stick the message “2019.08.15 17:45:35 - WARN - Drive 2 serial V6GZZRGR model WDC WD4003FFBX-68MU3N0 does not match any in white list
2019.08.15 17:45:35 - WARN - Powering drive 2029864 off”. That the reason for the message “Storage bad”.
I added the new disk to the whitelist.xml on the USB stick. And now recovery will loaded without any mistake.
Thanks for your help

Great Work !

The latest August 2019 updates from Microsoft killed my DX4000. I recovered the system and regained access and applied updates - half of which failed. I went through a second round of updates and now I’m back to where I started with a dead box stuck on “LOADING OS PLEASE WAIT…” and no disk activity.

So be selective when updating after the recovery!!!

I guess y’all tried to remote to the server and it failed? Could you ping the server?

wonder if it is this

Server would not complete the boot.

If it was the problem you linked to it did not impact 3 Win7 Pro PCs or a Dell 420 running Server 2008 R2 in my case. Totally borked the DX4000 though :frowning:

Well the LCD is controlled by WD scripts so it may not be an accurate representation of the servers actual status.

I have no clue if the scripts use visual basic or if the script failed to run if that would prevent the server from booting

your other systems do not have the lcd scripts…

When the boot process stalls all disk activity stops. Not a flicker on the front panel lights which is unusual for Windows systems. I also have monitoring running. When booted I collect logs via WMI. In the stalled state nothing is collected.

I will recover again during the week and see if I can get anything out of it while it’s hung. I made a bare metal backup after the first lot of updates had been applied. Hopefully it is suitable for a recovery from backup using the recovery ISO.

Do you know which windows update killed the DX4000. Is this KB4512506 od KB4512514.

It’s a bit tricky. One of the updates failed in my ‘normal’ patch run so it could be the result of applying one of the updates or not applying the failed update. I’ll see if I can work out what installed and what didn’t from my logs.

If you do restore from backup on the recovery iso it looks for a full windows server backup on a local usb drive.

I did this once many years ago and it worked back then.

If you have it running I don’t know that it is worth figuring out as no one at MS or WD cares :frowning:

My log is incomplete because of the failure but I captured this:

The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. To install the updates, an administrator should log on to this computer and Windows will prompt with further instructions:

• 2019-08 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4512506)
  • Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB915597 (Version 1.299.2006.0)
  • 2019-08 Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4474419)
  • 2019-08 Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4512486)

I also have application crash events associated with KB4512486 and a success for KB915597.

Avoid the whole August update and work out how to live without patches from now on.Patches are stopping next year anyway.