Eliminate firmware update nag on startup if firmware updates aren't going to be beta tested better

If WD doesn’t have the time or inclination to beta test their firmware updates, then please eliminate the firmware update nag upon startup and allow users to navigate via the settings menu to update their firmware without having to skip over the firmware update nag every time.  You could also give users the option after a single firmware update nag to eliminate the message on subsequent restarts.

These update nags would be ok IF the firmware was more or less rock solid and 98% of users would want them.  However, it appears, at least anecdotally, that 80+% of users lost their wireless adapter support with the most recent firmware update and everyone is having problems with HD camcorder files, among other things.

It does not help you but on the latest WD Live hub firmware you do get a option to not show firmware updates, so you never know it may come to the live.

Out of interest I think your belief that 80+% of users lost their wireless adaptor support is a major exaggeration.

Regarding the 80% number – the OP says “at least anecdotally”   If you read this forum, that is probably an accurate assessment of the anecdotal evidence presented in these forums by users that have had their wireless adapater compatibility broken with firmware 1.04.17.  Granted those who are not having problems don’t typically post on forums like this, but I’ve yet to see some groundswell of users responding that their Live or Live Plus still functions properly with their wireless adapter after updating to 1.04.17.

Glad to see WD implemented this option in the Hub - wish they’d add it for us Live and Live Plus owners.

From what I have read you can block *.wdc.com in the settings on your router, however I have not tried this yet.

Interesting idea - hadn’t thought about that.  Might have to try it. Thanks.

This may be twisted, but I actually like the nag screen because when that pops up it is an indicator that the box has made its network connection.  There’s nothing worse than navigating to a share or server as soon as the unit boots up only to find that the connection has not been established.

kcmark wrote:

Regarding the 80% number – the OP says “at least anecdotally”   If you read this forum, that is probably an accurate assessment of the anecdotal evidence presented in these forums by users that have had their wireless adapater compatibility broken with firmware 1.04.17.  Granted those who are not having problems don’t typically post on forums like this, but I’ve yet to see some groundswell of users responding that their Live or Live Plus still functions properly with their wireless adapter after updating to 1.04.17.

Glad to see WD implemented this option in the Hub - wish they’d add it for us Live and Live Plus owners.

On what do you base this 80% figure? There are a huge number of users on the forum and a handful who have complained about this problem, how does that make 80%. There would be a massive amount of messages about this if it were true. The messages are generally about a couple of adaptors which stopped being recognised, some of these were never listed as being an approved type. However saying that we can only hope that WD rectify the situation as its difficult enough already to get an approved adaptor without them removing support for those that used to work.

Just so that I can be counted in this anecdotal evidence, my adaptor still works and has done with all the releases.

Its a Buffalo Mini WLI-UC-GN

I can also vouch for the Buffalo WLI-UC-GN, even when my firmware hasn’t worked correctly the wireless still did.

Also I tried blocking wdc.com (except for this PC’s MAC address) and now no longer have the update nag, hooray!