DX4000, 2008 R2 Essentials, Win 10 Client Bare Metal, winload.efi complaining

Hi Folks,

Been lurking here, lots of good info. I am trying to do a restore for a Win10 UEFI system using the standard method as described in the DX4000 manual:

The system is set to boot using UEFI with security enabled

Upon boot from the USB drive I get some encouraging progress and then a fatal error with the message (paraphrasing) that the winload.efi file has an invalid signature and the system cannot boot.

Alternate method…fails differently

If I turn off secure boot and use Legacy instead of UEFI, I can get the Full Restore Wizard, can install the drivers and the Wizard appears to find my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. But when I continue, the Wizard cannot find my DX4000 on the network, by name or IP address.

Any obviously wrong things I’m doing? Thanks so much for your help.

Tom

You will have to be booted uEFI to do the restore but security disabled.
You can hold down ctrl-alt-shft and get a cmd prompt in this restore thing and do ipconfig to see if it really loaded the network drivers

make a fat bootable thumb and copy the files to it should boot

when do you get the winload error and what is it exactly?

look at the known issues here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2781274/a-hotfix-is-available-to-add-backup-support-for-uefi-based-computers-to-back-up-to-servers-that-are-running-windows-storage-server-2008-r2-essentials

Thanks so much, Gramps. The KB2781274 patch is applied, done in 2013. :wink:

I set the Boot to Security disabled but to use UEFI.

Your excellent tip to use ctrl-alt-shift did indeed open a cmd prompt and ipconfig /all shows no hardware, just a loop back adapter.

ipconfig /renew complains that there is no adapter that can be renewed.

So it appears that although the Wizard finds the Realtek NIC after scanning the “Drivers for Full Restore” folder, it is not really using it.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Turning off security got me past the winload.efi error. But to satisfy curiosity, it was a 0xC00000428 error with a black screen, it appears just after the progress bar ends on the initial boot.

Found this crucial bit of information:

http://kwsupport.com/2012/07/whs-restore-64-bit-workstations-and-realtek/

Realtek drivers can be wonkey without the full OS. Specifically, the thread says to do this:

Go to the Realtek website, click on Downloads
Click on Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series Drivers from the Quick Links section on the right.
Locate and download the WinXP/Win Server 2003 Driver to your computer. I created a folder called Realtek Drivers for this purpose.

Now I am getting an IP address, can find the server, get a list of backups, etc. etc.

I could not have done this without knowing the ctrl-alt-shift trick, I still had to run an ipconfig /renew to get an IP V4 address, weird.

Thanks!

I knew you had the hotfix or you never would of had a successful backup. I wanted you to look over the known issues. They do happen :frowning:

yes, the drivers are nutso

So it failed with a network error during restore. I am doing some “plan B” stuff before I make other attempts to restore directly from the DX4000.

Early on when I bought this device, I did a couple of bare metal restores and it was dead simple.

Now it’s gone from “it just plain works” to days of troubleshooting and annoyance for the BMR, The individual file restore still is rock solid and super convenient though.

Is Server 2012 essentials any better with modern clients and UEFI etc?

2012R2 has the uEFI built in. The server itself can back itself up if over 2tb which was a biggie. Does not support XP clients if you have any

Those seem like pretty good features.

I ended up succeeding in my restore…only because I was restoring to exactly the same hard drive. In test runs attempting o use a different sized HD in the client, I never could get the partitioning offset correct for a restore that would boot.

Is that a common issue or am I just lucky? :wink:

Not sure I ever tried a larger hard drive with uEFI. I know I have done it with BIOS

It is not too uncommon to have to do some fixboot(s) after a restore