DVD Saved to WD My Book Live STILL Lag

Thanks in advance for your help…

Equipment…

WDTV Live - new and with firmware updates

WD MyBook Live 2TB hard drive

Seagate Go Flex Home 2TB  (Free Agent)

Both 2TBs  have same files for backup

Just bought a brand new wireless N Router  - Netgear N600 Dual Band

I Have WN2000rpt Wireless N extender.   The EXT works with all computers in house ans WDTV online stuff as well!

I have at computer with 2tb 16 gig of ram

I was able to setup the WDTV so that it automatcially find the wireless network fine and Netflix and other online stuff works great, no lag…   The new wirelss router feels much faster than old wirless G  (I have verizon fios)

I have home videos .mpg  that play through Network Share → Windows Share-> Mybook live

I see all my videos that are DVDs that put on to the hard drives using DVDSHrink3.2

Even with the wirless N router I just bought today - the video STILL lags when it’s a DVD on the hard drive/

?

1. Can some one help explain why?   this is a WD hard drive - with a WD-TH Live… I thought they would work great togehter? no luck…

2. The Seagate 2tb Go Flex is not being seen by the WDTV at all even though on my “COmputer” page of my home computer it shows the GoFlex on my Network…

3. I also tried hooking up the WDTV direct using USB - NO LUCK   It doesn’t come up on Local Storage, on WDTV either!..

4. The WD My Book Live has no USB port!   SO I can’t plug that in direct…

5. Questions - Is there something wrong with my setup???  Is there something else I need to buy or a different kind of hard drive(s)?    

6. I actually did have it working some what at some point with WDTV playing some DVDs but some always lagged now with this new router all DVDs lag…that’s why new router!

When I say lag - it plays for a few seconds then plays in slow motion with no volume…   ALL vds are now like this…

Your help is greatly apppreciated!

A few additional things…

1. I have 2 of these WDTV LIve  - & both are experiencing the same issues (both on different TVs in the house)

2. Reading this forum, just for kicks I change the WORKGROUP to HOME and it wouldn’t see any of the storage, BUT, it did see the GoFlex Home - I could not access it, might have been password…

The GoFlex shows “Seagategroup”   for WORKGROUP   - and I tried to change it to WORKGROUP but still didn’t work…

1. WHen I say “lag”   the video plays for about 30 seconds then slows down and there is no audio… which to me says slow netowrk… but Netflix works great so does all other internet stuff… so then I am thinking something with the hard drives?

Thanks again!

Ok, got to 2nd level tech support… they said it looks like I have a bad WD Drive (we couldn’t access the settings… and also goflex usb is just for mounting anouther USB not for transering files for wdtv play…

So I went to best buy and bought another mybooklive - it already looks different, will tried to play same media nd see what happens…

OK, bought the same mybooklive… and have the same problem… it’s WD My Book Live brand new…   also I played the video direct with another USB drive and video plays fine… it’s something with the wirless network

Can anyone help?

OK - an hour long talk with Netgear tech support - they tried everything to get it to wrok - very impressed with them… STILL LAGGED!   they tried all sort of things with the router, the extender… very strange…

So I went to Best Buy and returned wirtless N and my book life… bought 2 - 2TB externals and will use them wired, each will be a backup and will have right next to my WD TV… I can still use the NetFlix and other online apps so not all wirless is lost…

Had to put a stop-loss on it and move on - hopefully I can try it again in the future…

Sorry to keep replying to my own post, but I am sure i am not the only person who has or will have a similiar issue…

I am back to the old setup and now the Go Flex drive is recognized by WDTV!!!

It plays some video files but not the DVD …

I used DVD Shrink 3.2  and they turned out to be VOB files, could it be that I did the DVDs wrong when I srunk them?

So at least now some of the video files work wirlessly…  but whether I had wirless G or wirless N  the DVDs that I burned lag wirlessly, they DON’T lad when plugged direct USB - they work fine that way…

So…   if anyone has any thoughts other that they think I am crazy, that’d be great… thanks!

Should i try this?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

Kevin16 wrote:

Should i try this?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

No. You should try this first. It still holds, even for new firmware.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware/BUG-Confirmed-1-04-17V-VOB-stutter-over-network/m-p/108742/highlight/true#M8514

WOW!

I thought it was just me…   it has driven me absolutely crazy and I’ve wasted so much time…

So I have to go back to 1.03 it looks like, that’s crazy!

Thanks for your help!

Kevin16 wrote:

WOW!

I thought it was just me…   it has driven me absolutely crazy and I’ve wasted so much time…

So I have to go back to 1.03 it looks like, that’s crazy!

Thanks for your help!

No, you don’t have to downgrade. You can use latest firmware, but follow the advice of parnott100.

parnott100 wrote:

Did some testing and here is what I found.

If you try and play a VOB directly (i.e. navigate into a VIDEO_TS folder, select a VOB and then press play/enter) then yes it is indeed slow and jerky.

However, if you press play on the VIDEO_TS folder then the video plays just fine.