Dts Problem mkv

I have found  2 files that have no sound. I have the HDtv Live. Here’s a link to my receiver  Yamaha HRT-5760

Heres the file info

General
CompleteName                     : H:\How To Make Love To A Woman 2010 720p BluRay x264 HALCYON\halcyon-make.love-720p.x264.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
FileSize/String                  : 4.36 GiB
Duration/String                  : 1h 31mn
OverallBitRate/String            : 6 793 Kbps
Encoded_Date                     : UTC 2010-07-18 07:16:10
Encoded_Application              : mkvmerge v4.1.1 (‘Bouncin’ Back’) built on Jul  3 2010 22:54:08
Encoded_Library/String           : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

Video
ID/String                        : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format_Profile                   : High@L4.1
Format_Settings_CABAC/String     : Yes
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 5 frames
MuxingMode                       : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
CodecID                          : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
BitRate/String                   : 5 311 Kbps
Width/String                     : 1 280 pixels
Height/String                    : 720 pixels
DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 16:9
FrameRate/String                 : 23.976 fps
ColorSpace                       : YUV
ChromaSubsampling                : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String                  : 8 bits
ScanType/String                  : Progressive
Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.240
StreamSize/String                : 3.30 GiB (76%)
Encoded_Library/String           : x264 core 104 r1677 19df41a
Encoded_Library_Settings         : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=5311 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID/String                        : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
CodecID                          : A_DTS
BitRate_Mode/String              : Constant
BitRate/String                   : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)/String                : 6 channels
ChannelPositions                 : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
SamplingRate/String              : 48.0 KHz
BitDepth/String                  : 24 bits
StreamSize/String                : 991 MiB (22%)

Heres info on a movie that does have sound

General
CompleteName                     : \WDTVLIVE\My_Passport\The.Losers.2010.BluRay.1080p.DTS.x264-CHD\the.losers.2010.bluray.1080p.dts.x264-chd.mkv
FileSize/String                  : 9.51 GiB
Duration/String                  : 1h 37mn
OverallBitRate/String            : 14.0 Mbps
Encoded_Date                     : UTC 2010-07-01 10:21:01
Encoded_Application              : mkvmerge v3.2.0 (‘Beginnings’) 编译于 Feb 12 2010 16:46:17
Encoded_Library/String           : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID/String                        : 1
Format_Profile                   : High@L4.1
Format_Settings_CABAC/String     : Yes
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 5 frame3
MuxingMode                       : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
CodecID                          : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
BitRate/String                   : 12.5 Mbps
Width/String                     : 1920 pixel3
Height/String                    : 800 pixel3
DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 2.40:1
FrameRate/String                 : 23.976 fps2
ColorSpace                       : YUV
ChromaSubsampling                : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String                  : 8 bit3
ScanType/String                  : Progressive
Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.340
StreamSize/String                : 8.30 GiB (87%)
Title                            : The.Losers.2010
Encoded_Library/String           : x264 core 88 r1471 1144615
Encoded_Library_Settings         : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.05:0.10 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=48 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=12510 / ratetol=2.0 / qcomp=0.70 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=50000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language/String                  : en

Audio
ID/String                        : 2
CodecID                          : A_DTS
BitRate_Mode/String              : CBR
BitRate/String                   : 1510 Kbps
Channel(s)/String                : 6 channel3
ChannelPositions                 : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
SamplingRate/String              : 48.0 KHz
BitDepth/String                  : 24 bit2
StreamSize/String                : 1.02 GiB (11%)
Title                            : DTS-HD MA CORE 1536K
Language/String                  : en

I love easy ones.   This one was encoded with mkvmerge v4.1.1.   In that version, they enabled a feature that is NOT supported by the WDTV.

You’ll need to re-encode it to make it work.

In MKVMERGE 4.1.1, load the file, then go to the audio track and set the COMPRESSION TYPE to NONE.  Then Remux.

It should work then.

The one that DOES work was done in 3.2, and that feature wasn’t enabled then.

That fixed it, Thanks

You betcha.  Please mark the post SOLVED. :slight_smile:

The Matroska specifications know a feature called “header removal compression”. This allows a muxer to keep a certain number of bytes that are identical for each frame in the track headers removing them from the individual frames. This reduces the size of the tracks significantly without altering the content as a demuxer can add the bytes found in the track headers to each frame during demuxing.

Starting with v4.1.0 mkvmerge uses header removal compression for a couple of track types by default. These include AC3, DTS and MP3 audio tracks as well as Dirac and MPEG-4 part 2 (aka. XviD/DivX) video tracks. The user muxing a file may disable it by explicitely selecting ‘none’ as the compression scheme for such a track.

If your player has difficulties playing such files then it is a bug in that player or in the demuxer but not in mkvmerge. This feature has been part of the Matroska specification since more than six years, and there’s no excuse for refusing to add support for it.

The proper solution is to ask the vendor of your player to support this feature. A temporary solution is to re-mux such files turning off extra compression for all tracks.

So its Wd´s turn to make a new Firmware for the WD TV, the Problem is not mkvmerge!

Jaspa wrote:

The Matroska specifications know a feature called “header removal compression”. This allows a muxer to keep a certain number of bytes that are identical for each frame in the track headers removing them from the individual frames. This reduces the size of the tracks significantly without altering the content as a demuxer can add the bytes found in the track headers to each frame during demuxing.

Starting with v4.1.0 mkvmerge uses header removal compression for a couple of track types by default. These include AC3, DTS and MP3 audio tracks as well as Dirac and MPEG-4 part 2 (aka. XviD/DivX) video tracks. The user muxing a file may disable it by explicitely selecting ‘none’ as the compression scheme for such a track.

If your player has difficulties playing such files then it is a bug in that player or in the demuxer but not in mkvmerge. This feature has been part of the Matroska specification since more than six years, and there’s no excuse for refusing to add support for it.

The proper solution is to ask the vendor of your player to support this feature. A temporary solution is to re-mux such files turning off extra compression for all tracks.

So its Wd´s turn to make a new Firmware for the WD TV, the Problem is not mkvmerge!

We have been all through this on other threads. The problem may be the WDTV but also the MKVmerge developer for introducing something that he knew would not work with most hardware units. He is purely trying to make a point. WD know about it and maybe at some point in time they will update the firmware but until that time everybody will have to use an old version of MKVmerge or remember to turn off the compression every-time they use the program. It makes you wonder what else has not yet been introduced. Personally I have now lost confidence in MKVmerge and I won’t be updating mine from 4.0.0. The fact of life is that I purchased my WDTV and I need files that will work. I have no interest in joining some crusade by the author of MKVmerge into getting manufactures to follow the letter of the spec. I note that the author did not bother to follow the spec for the last 6 years so I question his motive for doing so now. Perhaps he is getting too big for his boots and he thinks that he can control manufacturers because he has a popular program.

“…he can control manufacturers because he has a popular program.”

Ten to One he’ll be successful.

I don’t agree with his approach, but I’d about bet it’ll have the desired effect…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

“…he can control manufacturers because he has a popular program.”

Ten to One he’ll be successful.

I don’t agree with his approach, but I’d about bet it’ll have the desired effect…

He may be able but he is also upsetting a lot of users by doing so. Also other programs like popcorn MKV audioconverter have been updated to take care of this issue. 

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn_MKV_AudioConverter

The point is what can we do if WD do not want to update their firmware. We can either have no sound, or remember to manually switch off compression or just use the 4.0.0 version. As I said my purpose in life is to watch my videos not join a pointless campaign particularly when it appears that the MKVmerge author could not bother to implement this part of the spec for years.

having the same problem here…

What will be the command line to change the compression to none…

mkvmerge -o Cleanmovie.mkv -a –compressio none Oldmovie.mkv

???

ups… I found it here…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/MKV-Audio-and-Video-Issues-Track-Compression/m-p/35587

Thanks for the temporary solution while we all anxiously wait for a WD firmware update to address the issue.  My only question now is: how do you get such detailed video file properties/media and Codec information as the one in this post?

app or program called mediainfo…

DanDMan wrote:

Thanks for the temporary solution while we all anxiously wait for a WD firmware update to address the issue.  My only question now is: how do you get such detailed video file properties/media and Codec information as the one in this post?

Mediainfo (freeware)

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Hello all,

I a new to the WD TV Live, and am also having this problem with mkv files.

I’ve downloaded mkmerge and remuxed with compression set to none and this still seems not to work for me. I did upgrade my firmware yesterday would this have anything to do with it.

Here is my file after remuxed:

General
Complete name                    : E:\Movies\Movie_Encoded.720p remux2.mkv
File size                        : 6.55 GiB
Duration                         : 2h 28mn
Overall bit rate                 : 6 332 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-11-21 16:49:52
Writing application              : mkvmerge v4.4.0 (‘Die Wiederkehr’) built on Oct 31 2010 21:52:48
Writing library                  : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

Video
ID                               : 3
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 5 frames
Muxing mode                      : Header stripping
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 4 821 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 536 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35:1
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.293
Stream size                      : 4.86 GiB (74%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 107 r1766 f9f0035
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4821 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                         : English

Audio
ID                               : 1
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 24 bits
Video delay                      : 11ms
Stream size                      : 1.56 GiB (24%)

Text
ID                               : 2
Format                           : UTF-8
Codec ID                         : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                    : UTF-8 Plain Text

Menu
00:00:00.000                     : en:00:00:00.000
00:11:41.743                     : en:00:11:41.743
00:21:37.338                     : en:00:21:37.338
00:31:20.337                     : en:00:31:20.337
00:41:22.230                     : en:00:41:22.230
00:51:13.737                     : en:00:51:13.737
01:01:21.553                     : en:01:01:21.553
01:10:29.684                     : en:01:10:29.684
01:22:15.597                     : en:01:22:15.597
01:31:52.590                     : en:01:31:52.590
01:40:38.532                     : en:01:40:38.532
01:51:22.175                     : en:01:51:22.175
02:00:54.414                     : en:02:00:54.414
02:10:09.051                     : en:02:10:09.051
02:20:55.447                     : en:02:20:55.447

Does anyone know if I am doing anything wrong?

Thanks,

Casey

Casenote wrote:

Does anyone know if I am doing anything wrong?

The audio problems are most likely the same bug in the new firmware that’s troubling many other users.  You might want to downgrade until WD sorts things out.

The other thing I can see is the 5 reference frames in your encodes.  You might want to only use 3 or 4 reference frames in future encodes you make – even though you’re “allowed” to go as high as something silly like 32 reference frames, most players simply don’t have the buffer space to deal with such insane levels.  I’d thought I’d read that the WDTVs only have enough physical memory to buffer 4 reference frames, so your 5-ref-frame encodes might not always play back cleanly on WDTVs (and if you use a lower number, your encode will go quicker as well :wink:).

How do I go about switching back the firmware update?

Thanks for the response!

Case

Casenote wrote:

How do I go about switching back the firmware update?

Thanks for the response!

Case

see here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/1-03-49-Known-Issues-amp-How-to-Roll-Back/td-p/83427

No dice!

:frowning:

Should I go back to 1.2?

Casey

Casenote wrote:

No dice!

:frowning:

Should I go back to 1.2?

Casey

I don’t know what no dice means in regard to your problem. However if you want to go back to another firmware, WD have detailed how to do it.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800