DTS over HDMI to A/V Receiver

Please, dont tell me its not working?! My “old” WD TV Live, on the same hdmi cable and AV setup works fine with DTS sound from the same movie files…? I understand that STEREO 2.0 DTS is ok, but 5.1 is silent…help?

yep have just discovered this myself :frowning: after resolving all the other issues I have had getting it up on the network, this is frustrating, I just updated the firmware and that didn’t resolve the problem I might try using an optical cable, I’ll let you know how I go.

DTS works FINE on HDMI. 

Make sure you have your audio settings set to DIGITAL, not STEREO.

found a fix - it works with an optical cable, change settings to digital pass through with optical only, digital pass through with optical/hdmi doesn’t work

It should work, I can pass DTS over HDMI with movies and DTS CD .wav files to my DENON.

Karnis wrote:

It should work, I can pass DTS over HDMI with movies and DTS CD .wav files to my DENON.

hm :-/

Maybe I should try with a different HDMI cable, dont know much about 1.3 and 1.4 HDMI standard differences.

Karnis wrote:

Maybe Your DENON support HDMI 1.4 and you are using it with 1.4 HDMI cable, 'cause I tried everything and it simply does not work. What I did - I bought optical cable and I hope it will solve this problem. There are people reporting that it works with HDMI, but I would really like to know details about their connection cables and equipment.

Thanks.

My DENON 3310 is not HDMI 1.4, only 1.3 (no 3D passthru). The cable properties are geared more towars video bandwidth as opposed to audio formats.

I would check the HDMI audio properties of your receiver. I had an issue where DTS was downmixed to stereo out of nowhere…I had pushed a button to downmix it to DPL II. :dizzy_face:

Also, my receivers HDMI audio properties allow for several different audio output formats regardless of the input format. 

The fact that it works over optical is a clue towards that type of setting…usually, you don’t have that type of input/ output control over an optical/ coaxial signal. 

not sure if this may help anyone but my setup is as follows live hub (hdmi) to tv then from tv optical cable to my av surround sound. all my mkv movies with dts audio plays perfectly.

I have always used the optical output and never had any problems.

Only WMApro gives me pain in the head.

I solved my problem today by connecting WD TV live hub to my A/V with optical cable, but still I find it strange that it does not work over HDMI for me. Thing is, before Live Hub, I had WD TV Live and over the same cable and AV receiver, DTS 5.1 worked. Nothing special on my AV is changed, its always on A.F.D. If I discover something new, I’ll write here.

p.s.

something offtopic but maybe you can help me here insted of opening the new topic: is it possible to completely turn off WD Live Hub, and by that I mean even the hard disk which I can hear is always spinning, or active, even when I turn off the device with my remote. WD logo is not ON, but I can still hear its “active”.

Thanks, and good night from Croatia.

: is it possible to completely turn off WD Live Hub, and by that I mean even the hard disk which I can hear is always spinning, or active, even when I turn off the device with my remote. WD logo is not ON, but I can still hear its “active”.

Thanks, and good night from Croatia.

yes, hold the power button for 3 seconds.

Yep, that’s it thanks. 21st century… Internet is faster and “easier” than reading the manual :slight_smile:

yes it’s well known now I think that optical works, thats how I as previously wrote got around the problem, but it doesn’t explain the problem, why is there an issue with dts over hdmi? and it only appears to be some of us? Setups sound the same, HDMI to TV then Optical to Sound System and running latest firmware. and yes the tv supports dts core.

I contacted WD support by email, explaining the problem and they told me to try with a newer HDMI 1.4 cable, which I did today with no succes so I give up for now and will use optical cable for audio. Its not so big deal but yeah our mistery stays unexplained. All we can do is hope for some future firmware update so we can use one cable less in our setups. So Dolby Digital and DTS formats are working over optical cable, but what about Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio, I asume DTS MA have DTS “core” track with it in the mix, but will it work? If i can remember well PS3 REQUIRES Hdmi link with AV for Dolby THD and DTS MA to work… Tnx.

Same problems with new hub, won’t play dts over hdmi and my old media player (first gen) had no problems on same cables. No difference with the new update either. Would really like to get it working without having to go to a optical cable.

Here is my problem with the new firmware (2.03.24)

I am running HDMI cable from Live Hub to Samsung Receiver (as an input) and then from the Samsung receiver… There’s an HDMI cable running to the TV (as output)

Prior to firmware 2.03.24 I had no audio issues whatsoever…  BUT NOW…  When a file has a AAC , MPG audio, or Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track… the subwoofer doesnt work!!!

Only a DTS audio track will use the subwoofer… is there something wrong in the firmware with HDMI mapping???

At first i thought it was a problem with the Samsung receiver… but I ran tone tests and every speaker is working just fine … including the subwoofer…

I even tried testing it by watching cable tv… and the subwoofer works with that just fine (it’s HDMI as well)

PLEASE HELP! or if anyone else is experiencing this same issue… please let me know!

** I have tried setting my audio setting on the HUB to “DIGITAL PASSTHRU and DIGITAL PASSTHRU HDMI” neither one makes it work properly… **