DS5100 - OS recovery from backup failed (0x80042414)

Hi!
I just wanted to share my experience with setting up my DS5100 from scratch…
So basically added an SSD (dont ask why) as main drive, and to install Windows Server 2012, i had to format my lovely USB key as UEFI… go figure, and add the system image in. O yes, I needed to add the Raid drives to detect the drive, the link is in this forum above :wink: (whared by Gramps Dropbox - Marvell Raid.zip - Simplify your life )
That got windows up and running but no WD DS5100 info…
So getting the firmware and drives was easy to download… now to install WTF!.. get them here: https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=1602&lang=en
The video fw is a double click and enjoy… now all the other drivers are…
Well until I got to this help I manage to move on :slight_smile:
So do go to windows server “turn windows features on or off” and activate .NET and CGI (this last one is the important one, at least it was for me) this gives access to the dashboard of WD.
now, also thanks to rbarbour02, unzil the firmware of all the drivers installed before, and copy the “Identity.xml” file in a fresh and newly created “C:\WD\Identity.xml” folder (and copied file)
We are almost there!
What I did, (and maybe there are other steps before this or after) is just to install (and only that one) the WSMonitor and the WDSoftawareUpdateProvider.exe
with this last one you can follow the release notes of the drivers (and installation instructions) → go to dashboard, monitor, update, click on update from file, and choose the previous zip file.
As long as u did the identity.xml copy file and folder creation, you are good to go!!
Enjoy!

ok that was just not it… as I stated before I had changed the hard drive, so it was a non original or valid drive, and the stupid FAN was making me crazy!!
so I just followed this post Finding spare drive for DS6100 - #30 by TheWaterbug
change the name (as stated in the monitor system) and voila! disk identified as preferred and temperature fan control working.
All set, ready to go!
Thanks all!