Drive Status: Fault

We have had some power outages in the last few weeks which happened suddenly and without warning.

I went to go update Plex on my MyCloud Mirror Gen 2 yesterday and noticed the Diagnostics box had a Caution flag and stated that the Drive Status was Fault. RAID Status was Healthy, the fan was at 0 RPM, and temperatures seemed normal.

I went to check out the drive and noticed a red light on the Drive 1 indicator.

I ran a Full Disk Test and the results came back as

Disk1 Passed - Full disk test completed successfully.
Disk2 Passed - Full disk test completed successfully.

What does this indicate? Does the red light mean my Drive 1 hard drive is dead?

Hi Jeffreyabr, I think your drive is OK and there may well be a problem with the SMART algorithm in the MyCloud family (I don’t think it is related to power disruptions - I hope you have your box protected with a surge board?).

I have a MyCloudUltra EX2 Ultra with 2x 6TB Red drives in RAID 1 configuration. Last month (Jan 22) my drive 1 light went Red reporting RAID Healthy and Drive 1 bad as determined by the SMART algorithms.

However the stats reported in the SMART data table are all in tolerance for the bad drive and other forum threads are mentioning the same problem.

At the time I trusted the ‘system’, didn’t run the full disk diagnostic (takes about 24 hrs with big drives) and forked out for a replacement 6TB Red drive (not cheap), installed and auto rebuilt under RAID. All looked good until a few days ago when the new drive 1 was reported bad again (RAID Healthy, bad according to SMART).

This time I ran the full diagnostic and both drives are reported healthy with no issues (as per your message), looks like I now have a perfectly good 6TB drive spare!

I think there is nothing wrong with the Drive, IMHO this is a problem with WD implementation of SMART and may have been introduced by the recent firmware upgrades or even the transition to OS5 (see my build config below).

My view - Ignore the SMART warning - but do keep an eye out for RAID health. The box is RAID and disk 1 actually falls over your data is relatively safe as long as you also keep a regular backup to cloud or a removable drive. I would keep OS/firmware regularly updated and eventually the SMART algorithm may get fixed by WD. I’ll keep monitoring the forums to see if there is any further info on this

Best of luck.

MyCloud EX2 Ultra
2x 6TB WD Red
RAID 1
OS5

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply. I was pricing out 4TB drives last night and see that they run $80. But as I haven’t really used my WD MyCloud much since I got a Synology server about a year ago (honestly, unplugging the WD would’ve probably helped me more than it’s hurt me in that time), I am not feeling much of a need to replace the drive.

I did a reboot after I ran the Full Scan, and that turned up no issues after it restarted. So I ran another Full Scan last night, and I have returned today to this message. I also received an email with the same error.

I will be curious to hear from others or product experts to see if they have similar experiences.

OK - strangely enough I also rebooted and all drives have now returned to blue light healthy - have no idea how long for though.

Try reboot/full scan cycle until it clears itself. I’m convinced there is nothing wrong with your drive!

Unfortunately after a few reboots and another Full Disk Test, I’m still getting this error. I think mine might not be a glitch. My parents were cutting the power trying to relabel the circuit breaker and probably toggled it on and off half a dozen times… Then the contractors probably cut the power a few times when they were doing work. Had I known that was going to happen, I probably would’ve unplugged the box and left it off for a while.

I’ll probably power it down until I get around to buying another WD drive or they go on sale. My Synology gets me by these days. Some day I’d like to be able to depend on the WD, but it’s gotten pretty slow with Plex in recent updates.

You might want to try a WD long term disk sector by sector test after backup up all data

Also smart data after a long test may give a clue

I gave up on PLEX on the slower NAS units unless the video files were already transcribed.
or just watching .wtv tv shows on an iPad.

Here I have a similar/probably same situation.

I have replaced the two 3TB HHDs wit two 16TB, I even replaced the 36W power suply with 48W one.

Everything working fine and then after 2-3 days I recieve the Caution regarding Drive status fault.

I have completed quick-, full-, system diagnostics tests but everything is OK.

As i restart the WD MY Cloud ex2 Ultra, the red flash on the HDD is turning blue again for 2-3 days, then Irecieve the same caution notification, as everything working well.

I thingking to quit WD NAS and buy something else…

Examine the drives’ SMART attributes and internal logs with a tool such as GSmartControl.