Drive completely destroys my network

Hello Andres

To have acces to system, activate ssh (via the web interface), then connect on the MBLD by using putty for example.

Login : root

pasw : welc0me

Thanks Patrick, 

I’ve just tried it.

the file avahi-daemon.conf contains exactly the line #domain-name=local

as is a commented line i’m afraid this has nothing to do with the problem…

I’m terrified of making changes in these files (my linux knowledge is below-zero). On holiday  (next month) I’ll try to sniff the network in order  to identify what’s happening with the DNS-resolution.

Unfortunately I don’t have enough  time to investigate …

I’m thinking about a bug concerning IPV6 in the livebox (and I read that their are some bugs concerning IPV6 inside).

What should be great is to be able to disable it in MBLD to be compliant with some old routers but it seems to be difficult.

Perhaps Tony can check this with WD development guys, he didn’t give news right now about it.

At the end Orange announce a new livebox in France for the end of 2012… which should be fully compliant with IPV6.

If nothing new from WD, just hope that you will get it in Spain too…

I have EXACTLY the same issue.

I have isolated everything on the network other than my MacBook Pro connected directly via Ethernet to the same router/modem that the MBLD is connected to.

Everythig is peachy, connect the MBLD and everything goes squirely (and by that I mean EVEN the HTTP connection to the modem GUI is ridiculously slow).  Let me be clear at this point, there is NOTHING else connected!

My network sounds very much the same as the dude who started this thread but I have taken everything else off.  Nothing else is connected at all and the 2 devices are DHCP assigned by the integrated router.

So I’m sat here posting this (with the MBLD disconnected otherwise I can’t) and I noticed the drive go on standby (blue light on the front.  Even in this scenario I was stail suferring the same issues with connectivity (which was highly evident).  So with the MBLD gone into sleep/standby mode i still needed to disconnect it from the Ethernet port for my access to both the net and the router to get back to normal.

Other than swapping out the modem is there actually a fix?  I am a British dude living in Italy so I really don’t have the language skills to be asking for a different router/modem.  Bear in mind I started the ADSL contract from this provider in January, it’s ADSL2 and n standard wireless so it’s not an old piece of [Deleted].

Any suggestions very much welcomed (that includes you Western Digital perm staff!).

Cheers

Rog

Hi All

I just bought the 6TB version about a week ago and was very exited about getting this home and start transferring stuff to it. At first I didnt notice anything weird. I configured the drive as RAID1 and added the neccesary users and shares.

Same evening I started experiencing that the internet would not work - that say no website would load coming back with DNS-lookup failure. I could still ping google’s DNS servers (8.8.8.8) but not open any websites… Not until I told Windows/OSX/Linux to use google’s DNS servers in network preferences could I get a normal browsing experience. Problem is, I cant do that on all my systems connected to my network.

My network is:

• My ISP gave this [Deleted] ASDL2+/router build around some Sagemcom chipset. The router [Deleted], but Im stuck with it.

• The WD MBLD is connected via cable (static IP 192.168.1.101)

• I/we have 12-13 items going on the wireless (Laptops Windows,OSX,Linux; Phones IOS, Android; and a WD TV Live Streaming)

Now the router has UPnP enabled on it. It has been updated with the latest firmware (the ISP is doing this) so it should be up to date.

Now I have read what a lot of you others have experienced in this is in line what I have seen. Slow internet/network, DNS lookup failures and so on.

But that kept me thinking - basically the NAS is a Linux box just like the Ubuntu machine my girlfriend is using. So why could her machine stay on while the NAS couldn’t?

So as a test, I turned off all the features available in the web-UI, i.e. the dlna server, the iTunes server (was always off) and the remote web access things. Wouldn’t you know - it works now!

So my suggestion to all of you who have had problems; try turning off these features (at least for now) and see what happens… I had success! then maybe WD and this WDTony guy can figure out what is is…

Last update!; I tried to turn only the dlna server back on… after a while the problems come back. That was the only service I tried to turn on and off and it seemed to be the reason for the problems. Anyways it needs more testing before its definitive.

Try turning all the feature off available in the web-UI so that it only works as a simple NAS without the fancy stuff… :slight_smile:

Best of luck out there and let all of us know how it goes!

Haha, you  beat me to it runehogh

I’ve been working with WD on this issue a couple of nights ago and meant to update here,  sorry I didn’t do it earlier as I may have saved you some time.

After  taking logs with wireshark it seems the WD drive is sending out DCHP Broadcasts when DLNA is enabled.  With DLNA deselected everything works fine and the drive doesn’t send them, no sign of the broadcasts at all…

It’s not a fix, it’s a work around and I am waiting to hear back from WD as the case is still open.  Though the more people that open a case with them rather then just waiting for a fix the faster the issue will get resolved. So EVERYONE please feel free spend 10 minutes and open a case if you have the same issue as this thread details.

DLNA is enabled by default so just deselect it and everything should work fine.  Unless of course you REALLY want to utilise  DLNA in which case nothing is fine at all :slight_smile:

If I hear anything back from WD about a fix I’ll update this thread.

It would be good to hear from the original poster of the thread to see if it’s the same fix.

Take it easy all.

Rog.

This is interesting…

My Duo has DLNA enabled, Remote Access enabled – and I get 35 Megabytes / second WRITE performance.

I wiresharked mine and, indeed, see DHCP REQ’s every second even though it’s configured with STATIC address (and the requisite NAK from my router.)

SO yeah, there’s a bug there.

But it’s odd that this issue is destroying y’all’s performance.

TonyPh12345 wrote:> But it’s odd that this issue is destroying y’all’s performance.

I think it very much depends on what kind of router one has and the quality of programming in the router. I think the reason that some of us are experiencing perfomance issues is, the router firmware is not geared to handle something unexpected.

Is I said in my earlier post, Im stuck with whatever my ISP gave me. So no chance of changing it.

Anyways, I hope WD will respond to this issue in the next firmware update.

I am also having the problem with my DNS.

Everytime I use the MLBD I have to reset my DNS.  After logging out of router I immidately log back in again and reset to my desired DNS. (Static Ip\static DNS)

My router less than 2 weeks old as I thought that the problem was something to do with old router. Waste of £90.00 as the issue has carried forwards to new router.Will WD re-imburse me for this? WIll they heck!!

New router is Belkin N450 DB

I now have to keep switching between my ISP’s DNS settings and Open DNS. This is (to be polite) F****** ridiculous!

For everyone else having this issue try poping into your router setup and (briefly) changing your DNS then immidiately switch back again. By doing this I am able surf as I want until the next time I use the NAS

DNLA is DISABLED as is all media sharing. Drive has been setup as large (4TB) and safest (2GBx2) neither of which makes the slightest difference. Lates firmware IS installed.

Ernie

Ernie:  There is *NO* possible way that the WD can change the DNS settings on your router – no way at all.

I’m not saying it’s not happening, but if it is, it’s ENTIRELY the ROUTER’S fault…  Anything to the contrary would be a HUGE security hole on the router’s software.

Tony I will beg -steal or borrow another reuter to check it out again. BUT this issue DOES NOT OCCUR unless I have just previously uploaded\downloaded files to from the WDLBD. If I leave the NAS alone I have no problems or issues wiht surfing. when I do I have problems. I have tried with three (3) different browsers and it happens with all of them so this rules out any browser issues.

Ernie

Tony

I have managed to borrow a friends (who is going away for the week-end) router.

Belkin same make as my own (but different - older - model) and will experiment over the weekend with both of them.

I will get back sometime early next week and let you know what happens.

Ps. I have just re-read your original reply to me. It looks as though I did not explain myself correctly. Sorry :confounded:

My DNS settings ARE NOT changed after using the NAS.

What happens is that after using (Uploading\downloading) the WD-MBLD there are certain HTTPS pages that will not load (Microsoft - Amazon that I have discovered up until now). I have to MANUALLY change the DNS (to ISP defaults’) to be able to connect to the above. I then change them back to what they were “opendns” (208.67.222.222 \ 208.67.220.220). I have also tried usiong Google DNS with the same results.

Hope I have made myself clearer this time.

ErnieK wrote:

Hope I have made myself clearer this time.

Ah!  Much clearer, thank you.

Yeah, if disabling Media Serving “Fixes” that issue, then I think your router(s) (like mine) has an issue with the constant, never-ending, once-per-second DHCP broadcasts.

My Verizon-provided Actiontek MI-424WR router seems to just go belly-up after a week or two when I have Media Serving turned on.

But in my case, nothing on my “internal” network is affected – except for DHCP clients which stop getting leases from the router.

Some routers may just not have robust enough code to deal with that DHCP business – and the symptoms of this may vary widely from platform to platform.