Doubt firmware and smart

My brother bought an external HDD (closed case + notebook HDD) on aliexpress but he thinks this HDD is used but he opened SMART or some HDD program and it shows no badblocks, no hours of use indicating that it is a new unused HDD
When connecting the HDD to the PC, Kesu (E!)
appears

Is there any software to analyze whether the original firmware and original smart were changed by the Chinese to show that it is a new HDD?

I would read this Reddit thread :

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/15ufnce/has_anyone_came_across_kesu_hard_drives/

I would also recommend not buying hard drives from Aliexpress, unless you’re happy with the extremely high chance of buying used or fake hard drives.

1 Like

It is possible to test with some software if the HDD had the firmware and Smart violated by the Chinese and find out the real values ​​of hours of use badblocks on/off

It is possible to test with some software if the HDD had the firmware and Smart violated by the Chinese and find out the real values ​​of hours of use badblocks on/off

It depends on the brand and model and what was actually done. If it’s a fake, I can often tell from the label and the PCB.

Grown defects can be pushed into the primary defect list, but there may be a backup of the original PList.

See you at HDD Guru.

Will this Plist backup reveal whether the notebook HDD has undergone changes in Smart and firmware?

The PList backup will reveal whether there are new defects in the current PList. It has nothing to do with SMART. Let’s wait for the model number.

what app i use verify this informations?