Doh! Left my remote at home


#1

Any way I can still use the wd live tv media player? I am baby sitting my 5 year old niece and had put lots of animations to keep her entertained but just realised my remote is back home 4hours drive away. We are both very disappointed! I have an iPod touch but I don’t think the remote app available will work?


#2

Nope. you’re outta luck UNLESS you have a USB keyboard lying around (even a wireless one).

If so, you can plug it into one of the ports and use it that way (but it also requires either a Live Plus OR the latest beta firmware for the Live, so if you never grabbed that you’re outta luck again).


#3

Thank you very much for the reply! as it happens there is a USB keyboard here and broadband. Could you please tell me where to get the beta firmwear you refer to? I also brought my portable harddrive with me to which I can download it to but what would I do then? I’m a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff but I’m sure I could work my way to doing it with a bit of guidance!


#4

This *might* be the right link (I’m not sure – never installed the beta myself):

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/

Notes on how to install are on that page (but aren’t we getting pretty close to the time you have to be leaving?)


#5

Um, looking at it I’m not so sure you’ll be able to install it without a remote – kind of a catch-22.

At least it teaches you a valuable lesson (namely – don’t leave the remote at home )


#6

mkelley wrote:

Um, looking at it I’m not so sure you’ll be able to install it without a remote – kind of a catch-22.

 

At least it teaches you a valuable lesson (namely – don’t leave the remote at home )

oh darn it, good point ,not thought of that!

yep, lesson definetly learn’t! Still hope there’s some way to partly get round it.


#7

mkelley wrote:

This *might* be the right link (I’m not sure – never installed the beta myself):

 

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/

 

Notes on how to install are on that page (but aren’t we getting pretty close to the time you have to be leaving?)

I’m actually here helping out for 2 weeks so I’m that much more annoyed with myself!


#8

Hmmm – two weeks?

My first thought would be to have someone send me the remote.  Failing that, you can buy another one (might be good to have a spare):

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/productID.108411300/parid.13092400/catid.13742300/categoryID.33446100

but I have no idea how fast you could get it shipped to you.


#9

mkelley wrote:

Hmmm – two weeks?

 

My first thought would be to have someone send me the remote.  Failing that, you can buy another one (might be good to have a spare):

 

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/productID.108411300/parid.13092400/catid.13742300/categoryID.33446100

 

but I have no idea how fast you could get it shipped to you.

Hmm… apparently I can get it in the uk delivered in a 1-3 days :

http://store.westerndigital.com:80/store?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_GB&SiteID=wdeu&id=ShoppingCartPage

but the site is playing up whenever I try to check out : 

Server Error

Error:

We are currently unable to perform the selected action. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. We have been notified and are already working to correct this issue as quickly as possible. Please click your browser’s back button and try this action at a later time, or take a different action.

Error Number:  SYS_000001

Theres also this universal remote which works with the WD TV Live 

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/11924547/Logitech-Harmony-515-Universal-Remote/Product.html

But I can’t quite figure out if it works out of the boxs with the WD TV live without any setup or a requirement to have the original WD remote?


#10

I have the Harmony remote and you do not need the Live remote to make it work (it just access the Logitech database online which has ALL the remotes you’d ever want) but it’s pretty pricey (then again, it’s a GREAT remote – I use it to replace about six others :>)