Does the WD TV Live work as a DLNA media server?

I have WD NAS  my book live, whoch houses all my videos etc, i would like to connect this to a WD TV and be able to acces sthe files via my networked attacked smasungs tv’s is this possible ?

A friend of mine has a WD My Book Live which he can access on the WDTV and Panasonic Smart TV via DLNA

WD My Book Live is the " DLNA Server"

The built-in media server streams music, photos and videos to any DLNA-certified multimedia device such as a WD TV Live media player, Blu-ray Disc player, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and connected TV. DLNA 1.5 & UPnP certified

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=280#Tab2

his WDTV and Panasonic TV are the " DLNA Clients"

(personally speaking… i have a WDTV Live Hub which has a built in DLNA Media Server [Twonky] … so i can watch all content on it … and connected to it … via DLNA on my other WDTV’s, Smart TV, Tablet, Phone, Raspberry Pi & Chromecast … just to name a few) 

hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunaltey my WD My Book Live doesnt play all the files i have stored on it, as it has twonky 5.1.9 insatlled. Was hoping a WDTV would allow me to stream and plahy the stuff i currently am unable to on my My Book Live,

EvilHomer wrote:

hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunaltey my WD My Book Live doesnt play all the files i have stored on it, as it has twonky 5.1.9 insatlled. Was hoping a WDTV would allow me to stream and plahy the stuff i currently am unable to on my My Book Live,

The twonky isn’t upgradable?

If not, maybe just use it as a network drive from somewhere (do you have a router sitting around with the ability to hook a USB hard drive up to it?  If so that probably gives you a few options, since those routers often have DLNA servers built in as well, but if not probably just a way to make it a standard network share).

hi, thnx for reply. Yes i belive the twonky server is upgradable but its quite technical and not advised. plus it involves paying for a new license.

will continue to use it as a network drive i think and just watch my videos via laptop. thanks once again.