Does the "WD TV Live" have real issues with mkv files

There seems to be so many posts on here (and elsewhere to be honest) moaning that the WD TV Live has so many issues handeling mkv files, some people say you have to re-mux them which IMO defeats the object of the media player in the first place, I have a small £25 unit and it has no issues, apart from lack of wifi and 2nd USB port, amd i’m not too keen on bunging another £70 at a media player and it is fussy about media, they have had ages to sort it but seem unwilling or unable to sort it am i wrong or is it fussy with mkv files.

All1

That’s a loaded question, really.

*Any* media player is going to have issues playing content that’s either poorly encoded, incorrectly muxed, or contains codecs that aren’t supported.

I have thousands of MKV files, and every one of them plays correctly.

Keep in mind that MKV is just a “container.”   One can put all kinds of things in that container… but the WD isn’t going to play those things if they are not supported.

I can play my MKV files on every other device in my house… The SMP is the only one that won’t play them. The SMP has been nothing but trouble.  Honestly, it was a complete waste of money. 

i bought my wd streaming cos i couldnt mkvs to play with any reliability on my xbox …

i havent yet found a downloaded mkv file it WONT play…no problems at all…

have you updated your firmware?

Moor208 wrote:

I can play my MKV files on every other device in my house… The SMP is the only one that won’t play them. The SMP has been nothing but trouble. 

Really?   I haven’t seen any posts from you about MKV issues. 

Because I haven’t posted about them. I don’t need to post so I can get replys like “Have you updated the firmware” or “It’s your network” It’s the SMP, not my network. They play fine from local USB, but not over the network. The SMP has a ton of issues and like I said in my previous post… The SMP is garabge. WD has yet to release a stable firmware, with all the issues that need to be fixed, WD adds new features. Before they add new features, they need to fix the current issues. My issues are the same as most people on here… They need to be address. Ok, your SMP works fine, for whatever reason… but there are HUNDREDS of user’s with issues and they are not being addressed. 

I see that Moor208 is a tad upset with his player so he’s getting his own back by splattering the forum with negative posts. You seem to know somehow that its not your network or the firmware or I assume the actual files so therefore it must be the SMP. I think that with that troubleshooting attitude they will never work so if I were you I would sell the player and get something else. Of course you could post the mediainfo of the files and details of exactly how you stream them from your network before you do that. It may also be of some interest to know what firmware you are on as well, they are not all stupid questions you know.

I have approaching 1,000 films (mixture of SD DVD and Blu-ray Disc rips), and many hundreds of TV programmes and series, all of the MKV rips, using MakeMKV.  Whilst I’ve not watched them all on the SMP, I’ve watched many and only had 3 or 4 have a problem.  The problem has been the film suddenly stopping - sometimes, but not always after a short amount of stuttering.

In every case, when I’ve cut & pasted the film from one place to another (usually from a NAS to an attached HDD) the exact same rip of the film has then worked properly.

I’ve had a couple of other playback issues - with the player simply starting to go very slowly.  The two solutions that have worked have been (a) turn off network sharing on the player, and (b) turn off the player, unplug it & my router, switches and NASs, and restart the lot.

I’ve never once had to re-rip a disc, and I’ve yet to have an instance where, after trying the above, any rip wouldn’t work.

Steve W

Moor208 wrote:

It’s the SMP, not my network. They play fine from local USB, but not over the network. 

Mine play fine from USB and over the network.