Does My Cloud always try to use the maximum available upload internet bandwidth?

after I got my My Cloud drive, I upgraded my internet plan from 10mbps upload speed to 20mbps upload speed…

however, when I tried to access the My Cloud from another location via the internet, I don’t really notice any improvement…

does My Cloud always try to use the maximum available upload internet bandwidth? (connected to my gigabit router via CAT5e cable)

What other location?

What is your upload speed at home? Download speed is the usual ‘headline figure’. Up and down link speeds are usually asymmetric. Hence ADSL Asymmetric digital subscriber line

What is the download speed at the remote location?

The lesser of these two will be the limit on your access speed.

Only if you have uplink speeds approaching gigabit/s should the MyCloud be the limiting factor.

1 Like

Here is my setup and I have Time Warner Cable as my ISP. I own my modem Motorola SB6121, My My Cloud is connected to my Linksys Router 1900AC using a Belkin Premium Flat High-Speed CAT6 Cable and my router to my Modem by the same type of cable. Below is the latest speed test check I have made. See image below.

Below is information I found about my modem the other day while doing a search about it online. My send and receive lights are blue as is my Link light.

SB6100 Series
The SB6100 series modems support a newer version of the data over cable service standards, or DOCSIS. If your modem and ISP both support this newer DOCSIS 3.0 standard, you’ll be able to send and receive at much higher speeds. If your SB6100 SURFboard shows green Send and Receive lights, that means you have a standard connection. However, if the lights are blue, that means you have a high-speed connection using bonded channels, each of which allows four times the bandwidth of a conventional channel. A blue Link light indicates that your computer is connected to the modem through a high-speed Gigabit Ethernet connection.

As cpt_paranoia said when you use another remote location your speed will depend on their setup, ISP and how many people may be using the service at the same time.

Are you positive these are UPLOAD speeds, because they might be DOWNLOAD speeds? ISP always list the download speeds first, and hardly ever mention the upload speeds because they are so much lower than download. For example, my ISP is Comcast, and the basic internet plan with them today is 50Mbps DOWN/ 6Mbps UP. I have the next tier plan that is 100Mbps DOWN / 12 Mbps. To get higher upload speeds I would need to pay them even more. ISPs are quite stingy with higher upload speeds. I presume Comcast offers lower speeds, but they are not part of their basic offerings.

Even though I have excellent down and up speeds, when I am at a different location (say a hotel/motel (and other places notorious for lousy internet service) I cannot stream my movies from that location if their speed is rock bottom. About all I can do is stream music files since they can stream because they us a lot less bandwidth. Streaming music at less than 3-5Mbps is useless, and streaming video is useless if the location’s download speed is less than 20-25 Mbps. Their speeds could be higher, but I seem to always get stuck in a room as far from a repeater antenna as I can. I never get the room next to an antenna!

Basically, you will have much better streaming success if your home speeds are the same as basic speeds I mention above: 50Mbps Down / 6Mbps Up. At least then you have a fighting chance at the other end.

There is a free app that is the defacto standard for both iOS and Android devices called SpeedTest you should have on your phone/tablet to test the down and up speeds at home and away. There is also a web URL you can go to on your computer called speedtest.net that tests your home system whether it is wired or wirelessly connected to your network/router.

When streaming video at home, you should always use the 5G signal, not the 2.4G signal. 5G was created for video streaming.

1 Like

MyCloud’s Gen1 upload speed for non-encrypted non-buffered traffic is typically around 40MB/s (Megabytes per/sec), that’s around 300Mbps (Megabits per/sec). The speed result is almost halved for encrypted traffic i.e. HTTPS. Just for the sake of comparing MyCloud’s hardware limitation, uploading directly from my i7 PC/Laptop to a server I got around 900Mbps +/-.