Does Mac OS Monterey 12.1 messing with WD External HD?

Recently bought a new iMac and within the month I am having errors “Computer didn’t shut down properly”. After 3 rounds on the phone with AppleCare, they think it might be the 2TB WD External HD I have (purchased way back in Aug 2012). Is there a software update that exists that is needed for the new Mac OS to work with the external HD? I need to be able to rule this out before I take in my Mac for a hardware resolution. Anyone else with issues?

1 Like

Hi @CDonley,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

The most common reason for the “Mac won’t shutting down” issue is the recent upgrade of your macOS, hardware, or any software application. However, the issue can be easily fixed using the below DIY fixes:

1. Close all apps before shutting down
  2. Reset the SMC (System Management Controller)
  3. Reset NVRAM
  4. Try the Safe Boot
  5. Repair Disk using Terminal
  6. Run Apple Diagnostics/Hardware Test

Hope this will help you fix the issue. Further, in case of any data loss situation due to the mac won’t shutting down issue, you need the help of a reliable data recovery software such as Stellar Data Recovery for Mac in order to recover data from the affected Mac.

I also have been having issues with my MacBook Air. It’s a 2020 edition which I got in May of that. I have using a WD External Passport 4TB since June 2020. (Recently I had to have that device replaced in August 2021 by WD with another Passport (same model) because of a separate issue.).
My Time Machine and Passport had been working fine until I installed Mac OS Monterey on my device around late October/early November. After that my MacBook Air started shutting down unexpectedly several times. To fix this, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Monterey a few times. I’ve even reset the SMC, NVRAM, Safe Boot, repaired the disk using the terminal. When those didn’t work, I uninstalled Monterey and went back to OS Catalina to no avail.

I decided to take my laptop to the Apple Store in early November to have it evaluated by the Apple staff. Their diagnostic and hardware tests showed no error with the MacBook Air. After this i started using my Mac Book without the Passport connected. I was able to recover my user profile (but not through profile migration tool) by creating a new profile and copy and pastinf my library from the previous user profile. Since then I’ve had no issues with unexpected shutdowns. However, in order to keep up to date with backups, I leave my Passport connected just long enough to make a backup on my Time Machine and then I disconnect it. However If I leave it connected for too long, an unexpected shutdown occurs.

Will there be a solution forthcoming to address this issue?