Do I need to upgrade router?

I have a new My Book Live 3TB. Currently have a Linksys E2500 router on cable internet. Running on Macbook Pro OSX 7.

I’m having a hard time finding an exact answer on the interwebs. It’s to my knowledge that the rate limiting factor is typically the ISP. With that said, should I upgrade my Linksys E2500 router to a router with gigabit ethernet to maximize my My Book Live? Will transferring files via local network speed up with a gigabit router? Will accessing photos away from local network speed up and/or will video streaming be improved with a gigabit router? Sorry for the n00b question but I’ve done as much searching as I can with my limited knowledge of routers and networking and hit a wall. Any further explanation of the benefits of gigabit and how it relates to the my book live series would be great as well!

If I should upgrade, what are the current best gigabit routers (was thinking netgear WNDR4500 or Linksys EA4500).

Thanks!

No.  It’s very unlikely that changing your LAN connection from 100 to 1000 will improve INTERNET speeds at all.

That is, of course, unless your internet speed is > 100 megabit per second…

should I upgrade my Linksys E2500 router to a router with gigabit ethernet to maximize my My Book Live?

It depends on your needs.

Will transferring files via local network speed up with a gigabit router?

Yes

Will accessing photos away from local network speed up and/or will video streaming be improved with a gigabit router?

No, once you are outside your home, you depend on your internet connection, specially the up speed.

benefits of gigabit and how it relates to the my book live series:

10/100 = fast

10/100/1000=faster

I have just 10/100 and happy with it.

Speeds on a 10/100 network:
Wire:
Data: 39.39GB
Time: 1:50:05
Speed: 6404590 Bytes/sec.
Speed: 366.473 MegaBytes/min.

Wireless
Data: 4.66GB
Time: 0:44:11
Speed: 1890589 Bytes/Sec
Speed: 108.80 MegaBytes/Min

Thanks for your response Tony.

So ultimately, the gigabit ethernet is “useless” until internet speeds can match, right? The ISP  is in fact the rate limiting step in my situation and upgrading the router wouldn’t do much, right?

Thanks again!

If all you’re concerned with is remote access, that’s correct.

But LOCAL access will improve substantially with gigabit.

:laughing:

I guess my response is invisible. Answered those very same questions as well. Just too funny…

1 Like

haha Shabu i saw your post right after i responded to Tony’s. My bad. Thank you for your response tho. I’m gonna stay where i’m at right now. If I really need to stream files faster around the house then I will upgrade the router. Either of you have your ipad and/or iphone configured to stream multiple video formats? I’m looking at XBMC or plex right now. I know there are a few apps. I’m digging through the boards but figured i’d ask here since you both seem to know whats up.

Thanks for your responses tho!

I have a HTPC to which I stream (wired) sometimes, however, do not use any software or anything fancy. I just open the file from my media player (GOM player/XMBC/WMP).

Never done Apple products, since none are free (streaming apps). Did some Android devices long time ago with another NAS and all was fine. For android I used moboplayer and MX video player, I think, it has been a while.

Shabuboy wrote:

:laughing:

I guess my response is invisible. Answered those very same questions as well. Just too funny…

if it means anything i noticed you reply lol