Distorted sound. happened twice

i noticed since the new update the sound was SEVERELY distorted. no matter what i played. whether it be my own file or an internet media app. something seriously wrong here. i powered down device and then back on and sound was fine. but i never had to deal w one problem before. all these problems really ruin it for me. i am getting very angry and dissappointed w this product. WDTV PLEASE GET ON THE DOUBLE AND DONT LEAVE YOUR CUSTOMERS HANGIN W BAD UPDATES… AS I SAID IN OTHER POSTS I DO APPRECIATE THE NEW COOL THINGS THAT THIS UPDATE HAS TO OFFER BUT IM LOSIN MY HEAD IN MY FREE TIME WHEN IM SUPPOSED TO BE RELAXIN ,IM WASTIN IT TRYIN TO GET A DEVICE A SPENT MY HARD EARNED DOLLAR ON TO SIMPLY WORK CORRECTLY. HELLLLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!

I have the same issue.  I rolled back to 1.03.40_V and the sound is working fine now.  I have not seen many posts referencing this issue with the new firmware (1.04.10_V), so I hope WD is working on it.

New features look good to me, but the sound problem is a blocker for me.

there is a bit of talk about it here

it appears to be related to flingo

Same for me, radio channels, mp3 and video files

… aaarch

… this is horable

… i updated last night to the 1.04.10, and reset the box. but nothing helps. :cry:

can somebody please help here ? 

Having the same audio issues … I’m very surprised how WD wants the paying customers to beta test thier firmware updates. I’ve unplugged my unit and will NOT use it again until WD gets their act together.

Same thing for me.  AAC/Dobly channels work great.  MPEG audio channels are so severly over amplified that they are distored even when our television is on volume level 1 (of 60).  This is so bad that it’s unusable and upsets me to no end that the paying community for this device has to be the beta testers of it.

In the meantime, take the f’in weather channel and flickr and whatf’inever else off my box and just give me a working video player, which is what I paid for.

wwwddo wrote:

In the meantime, take the f’in weather channel and flickr and whatf’inever else off my box and just give me a working video player, which is what I paid for.

How bout, then, you just downgrade the thing to whatever it was when it came out of the box and you’ll be back to what you paid for!

TonyPh12345 wrote:

How bout, then, you just downgrade the thing to whatever it was when it came out of the box and you’ll be back to what you paid for!

How about WD testing the firmware before releasing it?

Or download the previous release here:

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlive_1.03.49_V.zip

Here are the steps to update after you download the firmware from the above link:

Extract the files from the zip archive.

You have to convinvce the WDTV Live that the downgrade is actually an upgrade FIRST.

To do that, edit the file wdtvlive.ver that you extract from the zip, before you feed it to the WDTV.

It contains the following 3 lines:

VERSION=‘1.03.49_V’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.pkg’

Change only the first line: VERSION=‘1.03.49_V’

So it reads something like: VERSION=‘1.0 5.49_V’

Remember you have to make this “upgrade” higher than the 1.04.10_V which has problems for us.

Now copy them to the root (top level) of an empty Flash Drive and continue with the steps below.

I pulled the plug on my unit, then inserted the flash drive with the firmware files, then plugged it back in.

It booted and found the “upgrade” straight away.

To update the firmware via a USB device:

1. Go to http://support.wdc.com to download the latest firmware update compressed file for
    your WD TV Live Media Player.
  2. Click “Downloads” then the product name (or photo).
  3. Extract the three files (.BIN, .VER, and .FFF files) to the root (top level) of a portable
    USB drive.
  4. Connect the USB drive to the WD TV Live Media Player’s USB port.
  5. Press HOME, and then select the Settings bar.
  6. Select the firmware upgrade icon, and press ENTER.
  7. You are prompted to perform the firmware upgrade.
  8. Select OK on the firmware update prompt, and then press ENTER. This will restart the
    system.
  9. After restarting, the system automatically enters firmware upgrade mode.
  10. Once the update process is completed, the WD TV Live HD Media Player will restart
    again.
  11. Once the WD TV Live HD Media Player restarts, the new firmware is automatically
    loaded.
    Important product update notes:
    Make sure the only USB drive connected to the WD TV Live HD Media Player contains
    the product update files.

Good Luck - I’m doin it!

And I’m back down to 1.03.49 and sound is fine again.

Now if someone has a fix for the metalic grey finish flaking off like the skin on Goldmember from Austin Powers…

I have experienced the same audio distortion when using both Flingo and my own MP3s with 1.04.10. Rolling the firmware back to 1.03.49 corrects the audio problem.

I don’t know if audio was working before I played with Flingo but even after turning the unit off I couldn’t get MP3s to play correctly. I’m using optical audio out.

While a slight inconvenience I appreciate the work the WDTV team has been doing since the original release. The unit has performed flawlessly for me since I purchased it on its release date. Thanks guys, I look forward to future betas!

i did another reset (back to factory settings) on the box,don’t ask me why … but it worked.  so i am fine now.

Keep up the good work WD :smileyvery-happy:

but don’t forget the non US/Englisch-Customers 

wreker wrote:

Now if someone has a fix for the metalic grey finish flaking off like the skin on Goldmember from Austin Powers…

You’re not having much luck are you. I don’t suppose you are using some sort of cleaner on it are you.

wreker wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

How about WD testing the firmware before releasing it?

Or download the previous release here:

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlive_1.03.49_V.zip

Here are the steps to update after you download the firmware from the above link:

Extract the files from the zip archive.

You have to convinvce the WDTV Live that the downgrade is actually an upgrade FIRST.

To do that, edit the file wdtvlive.ver that you extract from the zip, before you feed it to the WDTV.

It contains the following 3 lines:

VERSION=‘1.03.49_V’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.pkg’

Change only the first line: VERSION=‘1.03.49_V’

So it reads something like: VERSION=‘1.0 5.49_V’

Remember you have to make this “upgrade” higher than the 1.04.10_V which has problems for us.

Now copy them to the root (top level) of an empty Flash Drive and continue with the steps below.

I pulled the plug on my unit, then inserted the flash drive with the firmware files, then plugged it back in.

It booted and found the “upgrade” straight away.

To update the firmware via a USB device:

1. Go to http://support.wdc.com to download the latest firmware update compressed file for
    your WD TV Live Media Player.
  2. Click “Downloads” then the product name (or photo).
  3. Extract the three files (.BIN, .VER, and .FFF files) to the root (top level) of a portable
    USB drive.
  4. Connect the USB drive to the WD TV Live Media Player’s USB port.
  5. Press HOME, and then select the Settings bar.
  6. Select the firmware upgrade icon, and press ENTER.
  7. You are prompted to perform the firmware upgrade.
  8. Select OK on the firmware update prompt, and then press ENTER. This will restart the
    system.
  9. After restarting, the system automatically enters firmware upgrade mode.
  10. Once the update process is completed, the WD TV Live HD Media Player will restart
    again.
  11. Once the WD TV Live HD Media Player restarts, the new firmware is automatically
    loaded.
    Important product update notes:
    Make sure the only USB drive connected to the WD TV Live HD Media Player contains
    the product update files.

Good Luck - I’m doin it!

Or you could just use the WD supplied rollback firmware and not bother with most of the above.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800&p

richUK wrote:

wreker wrote:

You’re not having much luck are you. I don’t suppose you are using some sort of cleaner on it are you.

Nope no cleaner used. Actually I had to take a sanding block to it to take off all of the paint. I got tired of little flakes of paint everywhere.

richUK wrote:

Or you could just use the WD supplied rollback firmware and not bother with most of the above.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800&p

• *> Thanks :slight_smile:

I have no clue what’s going on with people’s upgrades and downgrades.

One user was getting mangled audio from .mp3 under 1.04.10, so decided to downgrade to 1.03.49… ended up losing net shares under 1.03.49, so put 1.04.10 back on and net shares are back and audio’s fine – 1.04.10 seems fine for that user the second time around.

It happened to me to. I had been on flinger for a while, when I left I noticed  the “audio distortion” which quickly became  worse. Turning it off didn’t help. I finely unplugged it for a few minutes, this seems to have fixed it for now.

Kenneth-JR wrote:

It happened to me to. I had been on flinger for a while, when I left I noticed  the “audio distortion” which quickly became  worse. Turning it off didn’t help. I finely unplugged it for a few minutes, this seems to have fixed it for now.

Yes it has happened to me. I watched a Flingo episode and at the end of the episode the audio became very loud and distorted. That distortion remained when I then played an mp3. I played a video and after that the sound returned to normal. Its something to do with Flingo.

Just in case it helps.  I was having garbled sound as well, but  instead of rolling back the firmware, I unplugged it and plugged it back in.  The sound was OK afterward.  I don’t know how long it will last or if it is fixed, but at least I didn’t need to roll back…  Good luck …

We have found a problem where after watching a video in Flingo, other media will have loud and/or distorted sound. Power cycling the device resolves this problem.